Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 9 years ago

Why is homeopathic "medicine" allowed to be sold?

Considering it only serves to confuse people into thinking they're treating what ails them instead of taking the APPROPRIATE steps, why is this permitted? It's essentially a legal scam.

Favorite Answer

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) prescription drugs when properly prescribed and utilized (therefore, not counting medical mistakes which makes the data even worse) are the FOURTH LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH. "Why is this permitted?" "It's essentially a legal scam." Prescription pharmaceuticals are especially disturbing now that BILLIONS OF DOLLARS are spent every year pushing these dangerous drugs by advertising them directly to the public.

100,000 Americans DIE every year from the "proper" use of prescription drugs - and you are worried about homeopathy?

Best wishes.

Because they fall under the category of "supplements," which are not really regulated at all. As long as they don't claim to cure a disease, it's legal. There really should be some stronger regulation of the supplement industry, but surely the industry itself has powerful lobbyists.

The sad part is that science education in this country is so bad, that people actually buy into the idea that an extremely dilute solution of a toxic chemical will somehow make them feel better. Homeopathic dilutions are SO dilute that you aren't likely to have ANY molecules of the compound in your dose - it's all water.

I know many of those things are actively harmful, and many times useless. There have always been home remedies, so I don't think it's right to give doctors exclusive rights to treating illness. I'm sure it infuriates some doctors to see people do this when of course "they" know so much better. I love doctors personally because I know I couldn't stand the profession. Still give me a break, we as patients and consumers are supposed to make informed decisions and educate ourselves. Out lawing homeopathy would be like outlawing mom's chicken noodle soup or warm milk. You might be kidding yourself but at least you aren't drinking alcohol (poison) or smoking (inhaling exhaust fumes).

• Gary B

1) The Legal Lobbyists for the Homeopathic Industry in Washington are VERY vocal.

2) People would rather believe the cheap and easy (and incorrect) way than the more difficult I-gotta-take-control-of-my-life way.