White smoke coming from engine in 2004 Dodge Intrepid?

I'm a little lost here...can you please help?

This evening I was running around a friend for a couple items. When we were getting back to the other side of town, and exiting the freeway my temp gauge went into the red. As we started moving, it fell back down but not too much. We stopped and got her husband something to eat and the drive thru was the only option. I turned off my vehicle because it was taking quite a while and white smoke was coming from under my hood. I knew we had to get to her place about 3 more miles away before we could possibly do anything at all. Got to her house, we let my car cool down for about 3-4 hours then went outside to check the coolant levels. We took notice to it needing some so we added the whole jug. I backed out of the space a little bit and turned the vehicle off again and saw a small puddle of coolant leakage. I proceeded to leave her house and get on the freeway to go back to my house. I exited the freeway about 2-3 miles down the road and had to turn into a business due to heavy smoke coming from the engine. I let it cool down for another 10 minutes and went another 2 miles down the road and did the same thing. On the third stop on the way home I lifted the hood, added almost a full quart of oil and let it cool down for another 5 minutes. I got homw on a prayer for the last 2-3 miles.

When I got home I lifted the hood and saw the front part of the engine smoking and emitting alot of steam/white smoke. It seemed to be coming from the thermostat housing or the area right behind it.

Any clue? Thanks in advance!!

I don't own a cell phone and no available pay phones exist anymore so I had no way to call anyone. The only way was to keep stopping and get home somehow, some way

Favorite Answer

I agree with above, it sounds like what may have been a simple repair turned into a nightmare repair because you ignored the warning signs. You should have pulled off the road and stopped the engine as soon as you noticed the engine temperature going into the red. At that point, the vehicle should have been towed to your dealer/trusted shop for inspection the following morning when the engine cooled down completely.

But because you continued to drive the vehicle, the chances of the vehicle being a write-off now are high.

• kopin

2004 Dodge Intrepid Engine

It sounds as if you might have turned a $20 repair into a $3,000 one. If you're lucky it might only be $1,000. Your car told you to stop three times and you didn't listen. A cab or a call to a friend to come get you would have been much cheaper.

Edit: You were at your friends house for several hours knowing there was a problem with your car and did nothing except get back in it and try to get home. No phone there?

there's a good chance you may have ruined the engine in that car,try doing this have someone run a compression check on it and also a pressure test on the cooling system,that might help determine the condition of the engine,its probably going to be expensive to repair that engine though,good luck.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 40 yrs now.

Blown hose in all that overheating? it sounds like you really cooked off that car. I think you looking at a bad hose 4 start then get ready because i wouldnt b suprised if the heads and head gaskets didnt get destroyed during all that.

Source(s): auto votech,20 years experience
  • opj62

Sounds like a blown radiator hose or possible a small leak in the radiator itself.