? asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Do you believe the charges against Julian Assange are true, or merely filling a intelligence need?

When news broke out of Assange being charged with raping two woman, I wanted to call it's bluff. Not that I'm a major leftist or anything but the charges came too convenient of a time. The U.S. intelligence community and interpol were racing to find a way to prosecute Assange for his classified disclosures. What do you guys think, factual charges or fake

Update:

I'm aware he is an enemy of America, that's not in question I'm just wondering if you think this is a way to end a major political/intelligence headache

Update 2:

If enough people feel its fake charges, should they be dropped. I've been on the fence with Mr.Assange while he has endangered our military/political efforts he enlightened us to truths we needed to know.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The charges were true but whether or not they are actual violations or a way to squeeze money from a rich man remains to be seen. The charges were out long before the classified information was released - it has nothing to do with it. That will come later when the USA charges him with violating the Espionage Act and he tries to find a country that won't extradite him.

There is no timing here. People are mistaking when he became a major news item with when events happened. The rape charges have been under investigation in Sweden for nearly a year - it was reported on the news but being about some wacko Australian hacker nobody, it was largely ignored. Then he releases classified data obtained from a spy (US Army annalist) and suddenly, he is major news. Of course that happened after the classified data was released, that is what made him infamous. Months ago, the Swedes decided to indict him and warrants were issued by INTERPOL. He alluded arrest so they were upgraded to a priority. Even the Twin Towers fictionalists couldn't twist this into a conspiracy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

of course they are. There aren't even any charges,the Swedes just want him for "questioning" but the real reason is to get him to Sweden where the US can extradite him and charge him with Doing Something They Don't Like in the USA - they're even drawing up a new law to use to prosecute him. If he stays in Britain,the US know they have no chance of extraditing him,because their whole case is based on nothing

• 1 decade ago

What ? Two separate women alleging the same against one man.

Timing these revelations just when his organisation get the heat on.

Nah !

Even the directors of cartoon time UK Eastenders would bin that story line as a non starter. Come on man this is classic fit up smear media garbage ! It is not going to result in a sticker.

Not with his lawyers journalists and many worldwide supporters.

And where and just who pray tell are these two so offended women ?

If the Usa has any rational sense at all they should treat this man carefully. His word and perfectly legal truth is already out and is

now irretrievable.

• Foxx
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Not sure, honestly, it seems a smear job by US and other govts on one hand, but on another, he did not use common sense when posting the things he did, it was tantamount to an act of war by showing areas of vital security concerns. He was foolish, or he was working for someone who is against the US and the West. You reap what you sow, his wiki leaks has caused no doubt deaths and possible future harm to many-so, if he gets punished for what he has done, and he purposely set out to cause mayhem, then he gets what he deserves.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • No. Their stories keep changing, not to mention Assange is a wanted man that can't be arrested unless proper charges are placed against him. So, the government payed these women to claim rape.

• 1 decade ago

The "Timing" of these Accusations -stinks to high heaven. And since "coincidence" is rare among the "Powers that Be"- I'm inclined to give Assange the "benefit of the doubt", and think there might be something "rotten"- near Denmark ... ;)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

usa got humiliated by him exposing all their dirty laundry and is just crying like a spoilt brat who hasn't got its way

the sex rape Sweden allegations i don't know if he's guilty or innocent i'll wait for the jury's verdict once all the evidence has been heard in an open court

• 1 decade ago

Definitely an excuse. The government just needed a reason to throw him in jail.

• 1 decade ago

the case against him is 100% trumped up...kill the messenger

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He is an enemy of America.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.