promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
SAM asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Cuban Missile Crisis Question........?

I'm writing a report on the Cuban Missile Crisis and I need to know why the USSR would want the missiles taken down from Turkey. Could someone please tell me why? Thanks.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Mark T
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Get it from the source - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-jirVqT3jg

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

And of course it wasn't until 30 years later we realized how screwed we almost were - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPssaJv2Qao

Youtube thumbnail

We lucked out , there were two people that are very probably hero's of the human race.

Llewellyn E. "Tommy" Thompson Jr. - an career Diplomat and advisor to US President Kennedy who personally knew Premier Khrushchev and argued for a compromise deal, removing the Turkish nuclear missiles.

Vice Admiral Vasili Arkhipov - (at the time deputy Captain) - of the K-19 "Widowmaker" - who personally prevented the 1st Captain from firing a nuclear tipped torpedo during the crisis.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • HOOK
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Perfect Striking Distance, a Military advantage

he Cuban Missile Crisis (known as The October Crisis in Cuba or Russian: Карибский кризис Caribbean Crisis in Russia) was a confrontation between the Soviet Union, Cuba and the United States in October 1962, during the Cold War. In September 1962, the Cuban and Soviet governments began to surreptitiously build bases in Cuba for a number of medium- and intermediate-range ballistic nuclear missiles (MRBMs and IRBMs) with the ability to strike most of the continental United States. This action followed the 1958 deployment of Thor IRBMs in the UK and Jupiter IRBMs to Italy and Turkey in 1961 – more than 100 U.S.-built missiles having the capability to strike Moscow with nuclear warheads. On October 14, 1962, a United States U-2 photoreconnaissance plane captured photographic proof of Soviet missile bases under construction in Cuba.

On October 26, Khrushchev sent Kennedy another letter. In this he proposed that the Soviet Union would be willing to remove the missiles in Cuba in exchange for a promise by the United States that they would not invade Cuba. The next day a second letter from Khrushchev arrived demanding that the United States remove their nuclear bases in Turkey.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

They were just causing trouble for America and We are still letting them. We lost the Cuban Missile Crisis as We do all the rest.

We have even lost the art of everything. If Your teacher is teaching the truth, it will be a wonder.

• 3 years ago

The Cuban Missile disaster became this sort of huge adventure for the individuals because of fact they had to compromise and make an contract with the Russians to no longer invade Cuba as quickly as the Russian missiles have been taken out of Cuba.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Because the Cold War is over and we are now allies. We are working together now to get the worlds loose nukes under control. We still have the biggest Nukes on the block

• 10 years ago

Look at a map.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Sam I am, I do not like green eggs and ham.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.