Can my landlord evict me if I have no lease?

We moved in to this apartment thinking the guy who showed us the apartment was showing if for the landlord. He actually was the renter and he couldn't afford the rent thus was finding someone new, we found that out after the landlord contacted us by phone. The guy who should us the apartment gave it to him. We... show more We moved in to this apartment thinking the guy who showed us the apartment was showing if for the landlord. He actually was the renter and he couldn't afford the rent thus was finding someone new, we found that out after the landlord contacted us by phone. The guy who should us the apartment gave it to him. We have never met the landlord, and we paid the 1st months rent but now he says we have to make the 2nd months rent and then he will send the lease. I do not have faith in this because it was a bad thing when it happend, and now I will not be getting a lease for the next month until paid. Is it true, at any time he can kick me out? I do have the proof that we paid the 1st months rent and I have text messages from him saying that exact thing about the leas, but to me it is not signing anything so is it even legal?
Update: I paid the first months rent to the landlord not the guy that showed me the apartment.