Artimiss asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

Can my roomates cat lower my immunities and make me more prone to sickness?

my roomy has a kitten who is becoming a cat. im allergic but up until recently it has not been a problem. just the other day while cleaning i stopped to play with kitty and my alergies started acting up. itchy throat runny nose, ect. the alergies quickly turned into a cold/flue/ sore throat and im pretty sure theres an infection in there now cause im 3 days into being sick and i feel ok other than being short of breathe and coughing up phlegm or flem/mucus. can having a cat even tho im alergic leave me more prone or succeptable to being sick? and also do alergies bhave diffrently during certain parts of the year?! plz help! thx!

Favorite Answer

possible

I don't think the cat is going to make you more or less susceptible to a cold or flu.

Yes, allergies can be different during different parts of the year, because most people with allergies are not allergic to just one thing. Part of the year it might be pollen, then mold, and over the winter the pollen and mold freeze, but you're cooped up inside with the cat, the dust, and the dust mites.

Try generic Zyrtec or Claritin from the pharmacy. If that doesn't work, there are some good prescription nasal sprays your doctor can give you. You can also buy a nice HEPA filter air cleaner and keep it IN your room, but the cat OUT (assuming you have a room to yourself).

NO! Just suck it up. 40 years ago my "doctor" told my mother that I was "extremely allergic to cats" and that if she didn't get "rid" of all animals I would "be in a wheelchair by the time I was 20". Yeah, right. I was a professional ballet dancer until I was 22 (when I got out of grad school and got a "real" job) and I have NEVER, EVER experienced whatever gloom and doom that douchebag said "would defintely happen". What a total tool! I'm currently in my late 50s, have 5 cats and am fostering 1-3 litters of kittens at any given moment. Doctors KNOW NOTHING! If you feel fine, NEVER, EVER go to a doctor. If something is wrong, figure out what it is by searching, then go to the cheapest doctor to get the meds. Good luck!

Source(s): 40 years of being owned by cats and 30 years of fostering kittens

Allergies won't be running you down, they're a histamine reaction, not an immune system tear down. You have the flu if you 'have the flu', ditto for colds.

Have you seen an allergist recently? There are new therapies and treatments in the past 5 years, it could be that the shots can help you a lot.

My mom had severe ragweed reactions every summer, it never opened her up to colds or flu. My sister has a dog allergy, it hasn't interfered with her health on any other level.