Federalism questions for my government class!!!!?

1. What amendment or article and section of the constitution says Illinois cant annex Lake County, Indiana?

2. Can the government of Montana requests that Kentucky return John Doe to Montana when Doe was convicted of murder in Montana, and fled to Kentucky where local authorities captured him. What amendment or article and section of the constitution says he can or can not?

3. Which specific freedom or right in the Bill of Rights lets Jeff make a presentation to the American Civil Liberties Union on the rights of juveniles?

4. Which specific freedom or right in the Bill of Rights lets Governor D.'s state consider new liquor laws since they are not under the federal governments domain?

5. Why should a government that operates on a majority zealously guard the rights of the minorities?

Thanks!!!!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Idk number 1.

but, 2. is no, & its the 5th amendment.

3. 1st amendment. (article 1)

4. 9th amendment. (article 9)

5. because the rights of the minorities can be overthrown by the majority?

idunno if this is right, i'm only in the 8th grade but i feel pretty confident about all but number 5.

• 10 years ago

None of these areas as specific as you want in the Constitution. I will not tell you where they are because it would be defying the purpose of you reading and understanding or misunderstanding the Constitution. I will answer them in layman terms thou.

1. The answer is not literally in the Constitution. This will fall in the individuality of the States. A State is practically its own country with ties to a central government we call the Federal Government. A dispute like this, will be considered a squabble between to "sovereign" states. Thus the Constitution will not cover it, because the Constitution does not defines property lines of the States. If the states cannot reach an accord, then it is taken to court where it will be disputed for centuries to come. If taken to Federal Court and both states have to agree that the decision from that Court will be final, whatever the Court decides will be law. But again, there are appeals and appeals to appeals AND CRYBABIES THAT WILL NEVER LET IT DROP.

2. Again, NOT IN THE CONSTITUTION. This is left to the States. Whatever is not in the constitution falls under the 10th amendment. If Kentucky does not like happy triggers Montanans, they do not have to give John Doe back. That works through an extradition process, very similar to extradition between foreign countries. They have to have a treaty and every time there is an extradition request, the Country or State sits down and weights the pros and cons of the extradition. If the Country or State does not agree it merits extradition or that the punishment will be more severe than needed, like in the case of death penalty, the Country or State can deny the extradition request.

3. 1st amendment. The ACLU is not a government organization; you can present pretty much anything you want to them. I would be careful with that thou, because even though they profess "American Liberties", if they don't like what you say, they will shut you up with a lawsuit that you will never be able to fight back.

4. The 10th amendment?

5. Not in there either, but the ones that try, and succeed, use an interpretation of the 1st and 4th amendments.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.