Bambino

Jultomten

Magi

Weihnachtsmann

La Befana

Julenissen

Shengda Laoren

Jizo

Please tell what these words mean and what country they originate from?

Noel

yule

wassail

carol

lebkuchen

frankincense

panettone

hallacas

bonbon

oplatek

prespio

Pinata

posadas

Felis Natal

Update:

I would david. But you didn't tell where they originated from. Sorry, Merry christmas.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Kris Kringle - Santa Claus or Christkind (USA term)

Zwarte Piet - (aka Black Pete) Companion of St Nicholas (Netherlands & Belgium)

Bambino - The 'Child', referring to infant Jesus (Italy)

Jultomten - (aka Tomte) Mythical creature of Scandinavian folklore believed to take care of a farmer's home and children and protect them from misfortune (Scandinavia)

Magi - In reference to the Gospel of Matthew's "wise men from the East", or "three wise men" (Greece)

Weihnachtsmann - Santa Claus (Germany)

La Befana - An old woman who delivers gifts to children throughout Italy on Epiphany Eve (the night of January 5) in a similar way to Saint Nicholas or Santa Claus (Italy)

Julenissen - Santa Claus (Norway)

Shengdan Laoren - Santa Claus (China) *p.s. it's spelt Shengdan Laoren. I learn Chinese so I know this one. :)

Jizo - Bodhisattva statue that is traditionally seen as the guardian of children (Japan) *Sorry, I'm not exactly sure how this links to Christmas

Noel - Alternate word for Christmas (France)

Yule - Christian festival for Christmas (Germany)

Wassail - A tradition to ensure good health or good harvest of crops (England)

Carol - Festive song (France)

Lebkuchen - Traditional German biscuit product baked for Christmas (Germany)

Frankincense - Aromatic resin burnt for incense (France)

Panettone - Type of sweet bread loaf originally from Milan usually prepared and enjoyed for Christmas and New Year (Italy)

Hallacas - A mixture of beef, pork, chicken, capers, raisins, and olives wrapped in maize (cornmeal dough), bound with string within plantain leaves, and boiled or steamed afterwards, typically served during the Christmas holiday (Venezuela)

Bonbon - Sweets (France)

Oplatek - Christmas wafer (Poland)

Presepio - Depiction of the birth of Jesus as described in the gospels of Matthew and Luke (Italy)

Pinata - A brightly-colored decoration made from either a clay container or cardboard shape covered with papier-mâché (Mexico)

Las Posadas - A nine-day celebration with origins in Spain, nowaday celebrated chiefly in Mexico and Guatemala, beginning December 16th and ending December 24th, on evenings (about 8 or 10 PM) (Spain)

Felis Natal - Christmas (Portugal)

*I hope all this helped. It was fun researching on all these by the way. :)

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Jona Lewie - Stop The Cavalry. If you can't call that a proper Christmas song - I agree it's debatable - then John Lennon's War Is Over. Mariah Carey's All I want For Christmas. I'd call that pop. No, haven't heard it. But my guess is that I wouldn't like it ! Tune. Sure. ;D. As you asked so nicely !

• 1 decade ago

posadas, means sharing , pinata, is a thing u have that is filled with cand y and kids break with a stick blind folded,noel is santa claus, carol something u sing,felis natal means merry x mas,bonbon means ,baby or lolipop as in sayin it to someone,prespio,means have a good,people usually say it as in prespio ano wich is have a happy new years,kris kringle i think he is someone thathas to do with santa claus ,sorry these are all i know sorry that i could not name them all MERRY X MAS ,PLEASE VOTE ME AS BEST ANSWER I TOOK LOTS OF TIME ON THIS

• 1 decade ago

They're all elves that live in the north pole

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.