Kayla Brooke asked in SportsBaseball · 10 years ago

Trying out for high school baseball team?

I love baseball, and I would like to try out for my high school's baseball team next year (senior year). I would try out this year, but my grades are horrendous. My question is: What do I need to know about the sport in order to try out? What equipment will I need for tryouts? and what will happen during tryouts?

By the way, I am a female.

and NO I will NOT try out for softball. I have tried it; and I hate it. I like guy sports better.

I'm a lesbian. and I dress like a guy all the time, so wearing guy cleats is nothing new to me. I just dont know whats different between backyard baseball and league baseball.

Favorite Answer

I'd recommend wikipedia.com for some really basic knowledge, and baseball-reference.com if you're interested in more specific history/stats, and I'd spend some time watching baseball to get a feel for the application of the rules. There's some good books to read too (beyond baseball for dummies) by this guy Bill James.

As far as gear, I'd say you really just need cleats, (make sure they're really comfy though, definitely opt for ones with some additional padding, and makes sure that they're for baseball not softball, since softball cleats are configured differently, you might end up with boys shoes but it really shouldn't make a difference as long as you try them on/walk around in them before you buy. Also, since you're playing high school you probably aren't allowed to use metal cleats, which sucks because they're much better than rubber ones, but you should probably check with your coach to make sure. And removable spikes are stupid, go for shoes that don't require a screwdriver) a mitt (which you should probably break in before you use it, this link has good instructions: http://www.wikihow.com/Break-in-a-New-Baseball-Glo... and an old trick that someone showed me once for if the stitches are scratching you is to rub them down with the dull edge of a knife, which has the bonus of making you feel like a major badass. Also, when you buy a mitt, you don't necessarily need to get one for your specific position, but some of them, like catcher's and pitcher's, aren't so interchangeable, so if you have a position in mind you should look for that specific mitt) and sliding shorts (remember that baseball pants, especially white ones, are pretty see-through so try to get ones that match whatever color pants your school team wears). There's other equipment that you might want, like batting gloves, which are good in that they cut down on the bee-sting feeling you get from a good hit, and if you wear them under your glove they add some additional padding, which is nice if your mitt is a little worn down, but some people (myself and Jorge Posada included) prefer to just buck up and deal with it, since they're kind of a hassle, they get pretty expensive, and sometimes they inhibit your movement a little bit. You should get a pair of baseball pants, especially if you think you might have to slide at tryouts, but otherwise you could probably get away with wearing shorts (no disrespect, but remember that you want to be taken seriously as an athlete when you get dressed. It's something that you forget about until you realize that you messed up.)

A few notes on getting dressed for baseball games: put your pants on LAST. It seems weird sometimes putting your socks on before your pants, but just remember that everything but your shoes gets tucked into your pants. Your socks should go up to just below your knees, so fold them down if they go over, and you can either wear your pants with the cuffs at your ankles like 95% of baseball players (http://everyjoe.com/sports/cc-sabathia-hammere-in-... or wear them old school with the cuffs pulled up your calves, like Cody Ross and everyone who played in the majors before about 1955 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_... People will argue me on this point, but anything between those two is just a little tacky.

Usually tryouts consist of batting practice and fielding drills, nothing too difficult but enough to judge your ability. My advice is to just not worry about it, just practice playing catch, and fielding grounders and pop-ups with a buddy, and work on your swing.

I's a female too, and I've played baseball with the boys. And as for softball, it's fun being around other girls who all take it seriously, but it's much more fun playing a serious sport, with guys who don't worry about things like hair and makeup. Best of luck with tryouts, email me with any more specific baseball questions, I'm happy to help.

Source(s): A combined 13 seasons of baseball and softball.

a glove and cleats.. what position you want to play is important in glove selection. first basemen, catchers, infielder, and outfielder all have gloves made specifically for them, even in high school. pitchers generally chose an infielders glove or slightly larger.. most school tryouts involve alot of running and throwing... and a few rounds of batting practice. Coaches want to know who the fast kids are and who has natural ability or raw talent and they can teach the rest. Watch some baseball, and try to learn what you can and be honest with coaches regarding your experience level and desire to play... it should earn you a spot on the team

If your school allows girls to play in guys' teams then that's fine. I like your desire to play and your determination. You just need to learn about your position and the fundamentals of baseball. Go on youtube and search for those kind of things. You'll need a mitt, cleats, batting gloves, and a lot of enthusiasm and hustle. Good luck! I hope you can make a difference in your school!