Is my landlord liable for a slip and fall accident?

Last week the weather was pretty bad and the stairs in the back of the house got pretty icy because they are made of wood. I went to take out the trash and when I took the first step I slipped and fell, hurting my lower back and my arm. Since then I had shooting pain in my back and tingling in my legs and hands.... show more Last week the weather was pretty bad and the stairs in the back of the house got pretty icy because they are made of wood. I went to take out the trash and when I took the first step I slipped and fell, hurting my lower back and my arm. Since then I had shooting pain in my back and tingling in my legs and hands. The landlord is a pretty nice guy but doesn't really take care of the house as he should. He is somewhat of a slumlord and does the bare minimum of repairs and up keep. The house is visibly poorly taken care of. He's owned the house for 15 years so I'm pretty sure he was aware that the steps could get icy, in fact when I told him that I fell the mentioned that the steps sometimes get icy but didn't seem to take any precautions. He is a good guy though and I'm told that he has help a lot of people out in the past . I live in Atlanta, Ga so there is not much snow or extremely bad weather here but it does get black ice sometimes. Giving him the benefit of the doubt this might be why he doesn't take it that seriously. I'm torn because on one hand the house is very, very poorly taken care of but on the other hand he is a nice guy and my back really is in pain.. What should I do? Also he did not offer me any consolation or even concern for falling. He simply asked me to block the steps so no one else will fall. He may or may not have understood the seriousness of the fall. Other tenants are saying that i should sue him. I can easily find a place to live that's not a problem. Also I'm not the sole tenant in the house, it's more like a rooming house. I've only lived here for 2 months so I had no idea that the steps could get icy. I'm going to the doctor today because so far I've been in too much pain to go earlier.
Update: And if so should I pursue it or not?
Update 2: No there was no way for me to know that the steps are icy, the back steps are pretty dark also, this is just a temporary spot anyway, but if my back is messed up its difficult for me to work because my job is very physical.