what are the expenses of oil painting?

I want to get into oil painting, but I'm not sure how expensive the materials are. :)

Favorite Answer

Oil painting can be very expensive. As a beginner you can start using already prepared canvas boards which are relatively cheap. Oil paints (artist quality) are expensive especially if you are using cadium colors. Then you need linseed oil and artist turpentine for creating a medium and then you still need turps for cleaning brushes etc. A student oil painting box can give you a good start. I suggest that if you have an hour or two to spare, go to an art supply shop and browse. You would get a fair idea of the cost to start painting in oils.

If you want to prepare your own canvases there are additional expenses such as stretchers, staple guns, canvas primers, glue etc, You can purchase already primed canvas (cotton or linen-different grades) but as I said check our an art supply store. Hope this helps

Source(s): I am a practicing artist- oil painter.
  • Trish

Nowadays they make cheapie oil paints that are pretty generic and come in sets. If you're just starting out I would try some of those first because they're fair enough to get the gist of how oils work. I call these the "kid paints" but I keep a set handy just in case I run out of a color in the middle of something. A little oil paint goes a LONG way, especially if you pick up a couple additives. Michaels also sells a bundle of bristle brushes for under $10-again, you get what you pay for but they'll help you start and learn. I started out with all the cheap stuff (I even would wrap a hard piece of cardboard with tin foil for a palette) until I earned enough money to start buying the better stuff. There's a wide range of quality paints and along with those come a wide range of quality prices. Oil is probably the most expensive medium, but I love it! It's not for everyone though, and you really don't want to invest too much right off until you decide whether or not to keep pursuing them. Beyond that, it really boils down to what you can afford.

• Jay

I agree with everything that Slim said, also look for sales on canvas and paint they often run sales at craft stores. Just keep your eyes open for them

One other thing to remember is oils are rather high in price, but you don't always use the whole tube of paint. There is always some left over for your next painting. And if you can sell some of your art then you buy more supplies with what you make on a painting. You will find after awhile you will have plenty of paint to work with.

Good luck with your painting.

• Tamara

I think its just a matter of how quickly you want the paint to dry. For instance, Linseed Oil would take a looong time to dry, Boiled Linseed Oil dries quicker but still takes a long time. The three you list dry much quicker.

Never mind the expenses of the materials. The real cost of becoming an oil painter is your health and your sanity. Only some of us think it was all worth it.

Oil paints provide for a wide range of colors and a rich color depth, as they can be layered and mixed more freely than other paints, such as watercolor or acrylics. Artists can subtly change the richness and tone of their colors by adding minute amounts of other colors, for instance. This is partially true because oil paints take longer to dry.Monet oil paintings single-handedly transformed french paintings throughout the nineteenth century and well into the twentieth century. His elaborate style of painting reflected a unique perception of nature, the environment, and how the world was rapidly changing.