MPEG-VCR says a file I want to open is invalid?

I have a video file in the MPEG format. I've been looking for a best solution which would let me to cut out scenes that I don't want in this video, and then save it without any re-encoding (thus avoid any or have as least quality loss as possible).

I've found out that one of the most convenient ways to achieve this goal would be to use a piece of software called MPEG-VCR. I've got that software but, unfortunately, when I want to open the file I want to edit, the program says: "Not a valid input file". An interesting thing about this video is that it has no tile thumbnail in the Explorer (Windows 7), but is normally playable. I've made "MPEG-VCR" "Not a valid input file" quoted searches with Google, but it literally brought no results. I've also checked whether or not this program could open any other MPEG file I have, and it indeed could.

Having said all of this, I would like to ask if anyone has ever come across this problem with MPEG-VCR and knows how to fix it, or does anyone know about yet a different and also convenient way of editing videos (these can be formats different from MPEG as well) without re-encoding them?

Yes, the program is indeed Womble MPEG-VCR. As for more info about the file, here you go:

Video -

Container: AVI

Codec DIV3

Bitrate: 1203kbps

Aspect Ratio: 3:2

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.00

Frame Rate: 29.97FPS

Scan: Progressive

Audio -

Bitrate: 56,0kbps

Sampling Ratio: 24000Hz

Channel: 2 (Stereo)

File Size - 1.24GB

I got all of these details with the use of MediaCoder. Besides, I think it wouldn't be a big deal if I added that this file comes from eMule

I am assuming the software you are using is Womble MPEG-VCR.

It is hard to tell what the problem may be at this point without knowing the source of the MPEG file itself. It is very unusual that Womble could not read it, it is a very good (probably the best) for handling MPEGs.

As far as trying another software goes you can take a look here for some likely ones but if you could provide a little more info about the files then maybe you can deal with them using Womble.

Edit:

Ok that is not an MPEG file. It is a DivX file and Womble will not be able to handle it. You will need to do a search for editing software that can mange DivX files. Offhand I don't know of one other than the one listed in the resource sites.

Even then you would need to purchase the Xvid codec to edit the files anyway.

An alternative is to search for a program called "Super." It is a free video file converter and may be able to convert the files to something you can deal with.

Good luck!