Does Miles Davis Have The Best Discography of any Jazz Artist?

Favorite Answer

it is certainly impressive in its size, diversity, and the sheer number of classics.

...but my problem with calling his discography the best is it really isn't all his. i mean, yes, he played on all those albums, and wrote some of the music, but whatever band he played in sold records under his name because he was the most marketable. some of those records are really wayne shorter records, some of them are really marcus miller albums, etc. i mean, compare davis's discogrophy to wayne shorter's discogrophy including all the people he played with- and i'm just using shorter as an example, there are dozens of guys with amazing long careers.

I'd say so, it's true he always had some great people with him (John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Wayne Shorter, John McLaughlin, Chick Corea, Joe Zawinul, etc.), like W&S said, but I think Miles was nearly always the leader/main composer. In fact, he even played on the album "Somethin' Else" which was credited to Cannonball Adderley, but it feels like a Miles recording through and through, and I suspect he was the leading light on it as well.

Not to mention he covered every style of Jazz imaginable, and was the innovator and best example of many of them. So overall, yes, I'd say his is the best, which is why I rank him as my favorite artist, with my favorite album "Kind of Blue". Notable albums:

Birth of the Cool (compilation of his earliest "Cool Jazz" recordings)

'Round About Midnight

Miles Ahead

Kind of Blue

Sketches of Spain (One of the finest fusions of Jazz and Classical, but is still Jazz, whereas say, Rhapsody in Blue is a Jazz-influenced Classical piece... then there's "Third Stream" music which I won't go into...)

Nefertiti (As he reaches for something new, and what he finds is...)

Fusion:

In a Silent Way

Bitches Brew

Live Evil

A Tribute to Jack Johnson (The most rockin' Jazz album ever)

• GOD YES, along with Thelonius Monk and John Coltrane

"Summertime"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N090STPx-2M

Youtube thumbnail