Looking to buy first rifle?

been looking at rifle well guns in general online because im interested in buying one for the first time. but i think i want to buy a rifle first because they cover alot of uses( personal defense, hunting etc.) I been looking at a savage arms 300 stevens rimfire rifle a 22 but i would like to find a bigger cliber... show more been looking at rifle well guns in general online because im interested in buying one for the first time. but i think i want to buy a rifle first because they cover alot of uses( personal defense, hunting etc.) I been looking at a savage arms 300 stevens rimfire rifle a 22 but i would like to find a bigger cliber rifle for not alot of money. i also checked out ruger mini14 but im not too sure. any suggestions for rifles,handguns or shotguns. thanks
Update: im looking for something up to 500 dollars. i want one for hunting and if something ever happens like SHTF scenario. just in case like to be prepared to have something to defend me and anyone with me.