Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

What does dread sway mean?

It heard it in a Crabb Family video," I'd rather have Jesus", and I'm curious what that means.

I'm sure it means sin but, what are the origins and can you give me any details?

So sorry to have bothered you. Merry Christmas,anyway...

• Bruce
    Best Answer

Here's the context from "I'd Rather Have Jesus":

I'd rather be true to his holy name

Than to be king of a vast domain

Or be held in sin's dread sway.

To be held in sin's sway is to be under the influence of sin. Sin's influence is dread because it makes us miserable in this life and locks us out of the world to come.

Merry Christmas,

Bruce

Dread - fear: be afraid or scared of; be frightened of. Sway - 1. To swing back and forth or to and fro. See Synonyms at swing. 2. To incline or bend to one side; veer: She swayed and put out a hand to steady herself. 3.a. To incline toward change, as in opinion or feeling. b. To fluctuate, as in outlook. I think it the message might be to fear change, or to fear inclination. In all fairness, you can't take two words out of a song and expect them to make sense. Language is a funny thing and it means something to some people and nothing to others. Perhaps it's just a song you need to work really hard to figure out.

Hi, I desire to sign up for this question to receive most up-to-date replies, so where can i do this is anyone able to help.