Why do the non Malays call the Malays lazy?

where does this laziness come from? are they referring to the malays from backwater cities?

Favorite Answer

Our education system is a bit retarded.

Personally, coming from Malay schools.

Malays need to only score a minimum of B/B- in majority of their grades to land in smart/good classes. Securing a place in University is also a lot easier for them.

Because the benchmark is set much lower, thus the aim is lower & easier for many of them thus it's obvious the level of commitment & dedication at times are questionable.

In Universities, we get corrupted professors who provide tips, answers directly in Malay in order to them to pass. It's been going on for years. Even my foreigner friends reported such issues. (Many people think foreigners don't understand Malay hahaha).

Many that got scholarship to study overseas despite their CGPA below 2.5 << how come? mystery right.

Never returned back to Malaysia, never clear the loan by working in Malaysia nor contributing back to Malaysia. Yes, never pay back a single cent. << and they said brain drain & traitors of the non-Malays pay back money but never come back here to work.

In real life...

Many companies, people from other race are denied the same opportunity, because need to have at least 60-70% Bumi. It's not hard to see at recruitment agencies/job ads. There's a line on it stating "Only Bumiputra need to apply" - often at Government agencies, public listed companies & MSC companies too. Inikah konsep 1Malaysia?

I've been invited to interviews, where I haven't even been interviewed & the person told me

"Oh sorry, I thought you were a Malay when I called you. Because you're fluent in BM. This position is for a Malay. You can easily find jobs else where right...& just chuck my resume to a tray."

It's an IT/Network position. Time took for test, waiting & etc. 3 hours+. But it's a lifetime lesson. Oh ya this is not the only company that discriminate other race.

I've worked in various spots over Klang Valley, Penang, KL over 10 years. I wouldn't call them lazy but they do take things for granted esp. in Government / semi-government agencies. With the amount of up to 5 breaks for meals - including tea/coffee, not including smoking breaks & toilet breaks. They can be very punctual coming in & going back. The mind-set is to "take it easy".

Loans, house, income tax & etc. all are "well arranged" no question about their special privileges, thus lack of motivation/drive for other things. It in the end paint a poor picture in professionalism & improving the country... sadly this habit has been going on for decades.

So drama mama lah, their politicians tried preaching...then their people "blacklist" them.

So when resources are running out, cut on scholarships & this and that, increase this & that.

The rest of the people blacklist them.

The rest of us continue paying tax, getting flood at roadside, watching clowns on TV,

...that's why modern Malays & non-Malays :( loh.

In the end, I believe hard work & education is the key to success for long term. Laziness is a weak link in the chain this goes to all.

I won't deny that some Malay are kind of lazy and took things for granted. Besides that they always been pampered by people that they never really can be independent.For me, its kind of annoying since I don't really like when people depends too much on me or when I see people clinging around or even be hypocrite... I wish they could give their very best in things they do or at least in things they interested to do... seriously, I tell you they complain too much somehow when they did almost nothing... its kind of annoying, stress and etc... Actually laziness is based on your surrounding, such an example, if there's one person in the classroom is lazy the others could become one too... seriously sometimes I thought laziness is a virus. A very dangerous one.It's doesn't only goes for certain race or whatever it goes to does who are not strong enough to control yourself from following a bad foot steps from everyone in the surrounding. I would likely to say it's a self control of one self.

Source(s): My own opinion and experience and based on what I observed

They want things to easily come their way without working hard. This is apparent especially among the civil servants where they get lots of perks and supports from the government. Other than the civil servants, the Malays that survive without government support tend to be as hardworking as other races.

• jimmy

UMNO make it seems like that because of the NEP policies - the Malays "learn" to receive alms from the government without having to make an effort to earn it..... This is very unfair to some Malays who work very hard to earn their living.....[mostly from the ulu ulu]

It is also a fact that culturally, Malays tend to take things easy - to live off the land,with the attitude to live today - God will provide for tomorrow..... This gives the impression that they are lazy....

And if Malays find these views of non Malays offensive, blame it on UNMO.....

The present BN Government should shoulder the end result for making them the way they are.

Given contracts and APs without any form of tender are two examples which they passed on to non-bumi for easy cash.

Non-Malays do not call them lazy. Its their own leaders who do. Go ask them.

no offense,but generally..they are perceived as being...having very little enegery..from the days of our forefathers to current generation. I mean not at all are like that..the newer generation ones who have gone abroad to study are really on their toes. But having said this,perhaps the culture is different..theirs is based on Relax brother....ours is like....Come lets finish this.....its common

• Fatima

First of all I am not a Malay so my answer is not a bias statement. Secondly, how can you give a negative criticism n say no offence?! I believe there are lazy people in all race and community. Perhaps because the Malays consist of 65% of Malaysian population, we tend to see everything associated with Malays in a greater picture.

why do i get this feeling that you are a malay too .. lol !

agree with wasanabe