Why do people say "just kidding" after they say something insulting, even when they weren't kidding?

I've had people tell me I was fat, ugly, etc, and then right after saying that they'd say "just kidding", as though it erases what they just said. However, I'm pretty sure they're not kidding, and they just want to feel better about insulting me. Does anyone believe that "just kidding" thing makes insulting someone less rude?

Favorite Answer

Your feelings are dead on. You see it, you are onto their tricks.

They use the "just kidding" remark to nullify and control your feelings even more. It is similar to putting your right to feel hurt into a strait jacket.

In other words, first they insulted you so that you could feel badly then they say "just kidding" to take away your right to feel badly.

It is designed to hurt you twice and to hurt you more. They know what they're doing but they do not care about you.

This is late but this is for the readers of 2015, I am 15 and I do this a lot. This post opened my eyes upon reading and if it made me realize what im doing wrong so quickly than why cant anyone else? The problem with people doing this is they bully you intentionally then defuse it with words so when you get defensive or try to feel bad about it you cant! And when you try to they end up saying something along the lines of "jeez dude I was just kidding" Or "Dont take things so seriously" And i've been a victim of this vicious cycle of an act and I never realized the seriousness of it up until now.

You know what? I never realized what I'm doing when I say just kidding. I make a joke and then say jk as if to lighten my insult. But sometimes my intentions isn't to make them actually feel bad. It's to take some and laugh at it for the sake of laughing at it. But you know what? If I'm hurting others and am oblivious to it then it needs to stop. But I can say this, the world is going to be so bland without jokes and people are always going to make fun of each other no matter what.

• 5 years agoReport

shut up pusy. nobody needs to take your bland insulting "jokes". you need to learn how to behave yourself cok sucker

You're unfortunately correct. If you ask me it makes it even more rude. I don't like it when people do that. I hope you know and love who you are inside and on the outside. If you want to loose weight, walk and drink a lot of water. Drink a glass of water when you wake in the morning, throughout the day and especially before you eat meals. Walk as often as you can. Whenever you rememeber it suck in your tummy, in and out in and out. Try and cut back on anything white... bread, sugar, rice, flour, pasta. Eat less meat and more veggies.

We're beautiful just the way God made us... He makes no mistakes. He made everyone unique and special. Knowing that we should all walk with pride and confidence. Be the best You, you can be...!

They are cowards. They regret the cowardly words as soon as they come out of their hurtful mouths and they are afraid of getting bopped on the nose!

An insult is an insult and you don't have to put up with it from anyone. It doesn't matter if you sound prissy. You have to let them know that you do not appreciate being spoken to like that and that no sane person would.

Everything that is said in life will always have an element of truth, "Just kidding" is an escape feeling guilty for saying it, realising they didn't think before speaking.

It does not make it any less rude at all.

that's probable extra constructive to ignore approximately her. or you ought to deliver them to her mothers and fathers. My recommendations - neglectful parenting - selfish parenting - lazy parenting - To have a meltdown over some chores? Are you kidding me? i will bear in recommendations being dissatisfied approximately having to finally make my own mattress yet I did recover from it. i'm so satisfied that my mom did get me to do it and different issues. that's stable. yet some mothers and fathers do no longer do it precise. They make chores appear as if punishment and that's no longer precise. the place I stay - I pay attention lots approximately this form of ingredient. I see a incredible type of clueless - rather ignorant mothers and fathers that in basic terms don't have the foggiest thought that they must be searching for know-how someplace else. in case you don't comprehend then you definately don't comprehend yet you could rather discover the assistance you like. I had friends who used to shrink. that's for interest. Their lives weren't so undesirable. in basic terms searching for interest. i did no longer see that their mothers and fathers have been neglecting them - au contraire. that's probable a adulthood ingredient. She might have concern in school. Her mothers and fathers ought to comprehend approximately it. in the event that they do no longer something then that's not worth mothers and fathers.

• docjp

They intuitively know that to hurt the feelings of another is a heavy load of Karma they have just assigned themselves. Having experienced the "cost" of such activity previously they try to reduce the severity of the burden by such a statement.

This attempt does not reduce the burden of Karma they have taken on, by the way.

Peace

When people say just kidding after they say something mean it is there way of thinking that they have made you think they are just kidding. Trying to make them look like they arent saying anything mean but they really are and just want you to think that they arent.

People just do that so they can make fun of you. You look like an easy target and since you look like you wont do anything back hint the fact they'll do it a lot to you. Have you noticed people don't do that to people who look scary or know that if they do that they'll get beat up? Its a simple fact of you look to nice.