Can I sue my employer for paying me less than what they paid the person who previously held the same position?

This has occurred in two different positions in the same company. I am an African American female. In the first position, a caucasian male made more than I did in the same position and in the second position (the one I now hold) a caucasian woman who held this position before me made more than I do.
Update: I have a BBA and so did the other two individuals. I've also completed half of my Master's program in Human Resources. The two individuals were both older than I am, which more than likely means they had more experience. The guy, who I worked under, before he left the company, commended my work ethic, by saying... show more I have a BBA and so did the other two individuals. I've also completed half of my Master's program in Human Resources. The two individuals were both older than I am, which more than likely means they had more experience. The guy, who I worked under, before he left the company, commended my work ethic, by saying that I should've had his position. So now I am up for a promotion and they want to increase my salary by chump change. Even with the pay increase and extra duties, I will get paid over a dollar and fifty cents less than the lady who had the position that I have now. I am extremely frustrated.
Update 2: Lose the fight? Lose the war? I really don't think so! A company who doesn't know how to treat their good employees will always lose. They choose not to consider my open availability in a college town nor the longevity of my youthfulness. My maturity, professionalism and integrity will all walk out the door once I... show more Lose the fight? Lose the war? I really don't think so! A company who doesn't know how to treat their good employees will always lose. They choose not to consider my open availability in a college town nor the longevity of my youthfulness. My maturity, professionalism and integrity will all walk out the door once I find something better. And I've been working there for a while. I know how hard it is for them to find somebody good. Turnover rate is high. I can understand not being able to keep everyone you employ, but you should know how to treat your good employees when you get them. You know you have someone good when you appreciate their work ethic.
Update 3: Believe it or not, it was my employer who compared my pay rate to others in other positions, pointing out that I already get paid more than these, so I should be happy with the chump change raise being offered. I have not mentioned to them that I know how much the person before me made and that they are trying to... show more Believe it or not, it was my employer who compared my pay rate to others in other positions, pointing out that I already get paid more than these, so I should be happy with the chump change raise being offered. I have not mentioned to them that I know how much the person before me made and that they are trying to screw me. I don't have to tell them why I'm worth a raise, they are the ones who offered me this new made up position because they felt that the qualities I have shown has proven me able to take on more responsibilities. They can to me with an opportunity and then slapped me in the face with an insulting pay increase that leaves me a BBA recipient still earning less than $20,000 a year. They've opened this can of worms. I would not sue them even if that was a possibility, but I have allowed them to take advantage of all of my qualities; I've allowed them to experience my expertise. To all who works in management, when you experience someones expertise and you are barely paying
Update 4: them, it is up to you to turn around and say, I want to keep this person, what must I do to retain them. It is now your turn, supervisor, to exceed their expectations----because when we underdogs decide to exceed your expectations, believe me, it was not just for 9 dollars an hour.