Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 9 years ago

Out of these 2, which Laptop should I get?

Hi, I need a inexpensive, good laptop for web surfing, video playback & normal tasks. No gaming or heavy project work is needed, so please DO NOT ADVISE ME TO GO WITH A HIGHER END MODEL!!! It's a personal laptop to keep with me in my bedroom (I am 16). So these are the two choices I have:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/compaq-comp...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-a...

I really like the Compaq better in terms of looks but the Acer has the better graphics card (not by much) and an HDMI port. I don't think I'll be using the HDMI port a lot but it's really good to have since it may come in handy.

So please advise me, 3GB of ram and 2.3GHz is more than enough for me. I use computers with 1-2GB of ram and they are very good. I think I will get the Compaq though.

Favorite Answer

Hi, I'm a Canadian too and man, I'm shocked. Since when does Future Shop have good deals on craptops? lol Ok, I'd take the Acer for $349 and I'll tell you why. The Compaq for $329 is NOT an AMD v-series, it's an Intel Celeron 900 (I checked HP's website to be sure). I knew something was wrong when I saw Intel graphics on an AMD laptop. It can't happen. The Acer has a bigger hard drive and the ATi Mobility Radeon Graphics are far superior to the Intel GMA graphics in the cheaper one. The differences aren't huge but in my opinion, they're more than worth the extra green with the queen ($20). Also, ATi Graphics are based in Markham, Ontario. Intel... somewhere in the United States. Enjoy! :D

Please note: I said NOT to get the Compaq for $329, I recommend the Acer for $349.

I would recommend the Acer. I have a low-to-mid end HP (which is the parent company of Compaq) and know a few people with Compaqs and they tend to have problems unless you are willing to buy the higher end models... Unless you get a good warranty or are willing to spend at least $800-$1000 on a laptop do not buy from HP/Compaq. My laptop has needed the motherboard replaced 4 times in 2 years. If it were not for my full coverage extended warranty I would be screwed. Even with the warranty I do not enjoy having to send my laptop in for 2-3 weeks at a time every few months. Acer products on the other hand are decent machines for they're price range.

Source(s): avid computer user and owner of 4 different brands of computers

Acer is really bad get the Compaq

I think you should get the Compaq.

compaq