Asking for knife help?

Where in Sacramento, if it's legal, can I buy a butterfly knife. My last one got worn out and I want another one.

• Jon P
    Favorite Answer

Butterfly knives over 2 inches long are illegal in CA, per CA Penal Code 653K :

For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever.

Ballisongs or Butterfly knives fall under that category, they're the gravity knives for the purpose of the PC.

Here's a "plain english" outline of CA knife laws so you can check any other knives you might own, etc.

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html

Source(s): Gun and knife collector for about 25 years CA resident Former reserve Police Officer