Kevin7
Kevin7 asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 9 years ago

How many chemical reactions occur in the human body everyday?

Favorite Answer

Wow. That's a hard number to even estimate. Every time a blood cell in the lungs takes on an oxygen molecule, that's a chemical reaction. Every time a cell in the pancreas produces an insulin molecule, that is many chemical reactions. Every time a nerve cell in your eye or brain fires, this is a cascade of ions traveling through the nerve cell, which is essentially thousands of chemical reactions, which cascades out to thousands of other nerve cells.

But to give an idea of how big the number is, just to stay alive, a human cell has to turn over (consume and replace) all its ATP (energy source) about once every one or two minutes. So that's about 10^7 chemical reactions (a 1 with seven zeros) per second. (See source.)

Multiply that by 86,400 (8.64 x 10^5) seconds per day. That's 8.64 x 10^12 reactions per cell per day.

Multiply that by 100 to 200 trillion cells in the human body (depending on how big you are) ... so lets call that 100-trillion = 10^14.

So that's about 8.64 x 10^26 chemical reactions per day.

So next time someone asks "are you busy?" ... you can say "heck yes!"

-----

Caveat: I did the above rather quickly, so check my math. I estimate that I consumed about 3.75 x 10^11 molecules of ATP in the act of doing that computation and typing into YA!.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): chemical reactions occur human body everyday: https://biturl.im/ZIzuW

That varies by what the human is doing. Do you want a number for all of them? My hand would get bored just typing that many zeroes.

endless

Source(s): me