I am an unemployed computer programmer?

I have 4 1/2 yrs industry experience programming in multiple languages.

I've been unemployed for awhile, was taking care of a family member.

I'm willing to work for almost nothing or even to volunteer, however in my state there are very few information technology jobs (around 60,000) to even apply for, and in my city, none.

I've never tried to apply for work in the tech hubs of Boston, NY, Chicago, Atlanta, San Jose, can someone tell me more about my odds of landing an entry level job doing programming, dba or any kind of IT work even if I offer to work for free at first?

I am considering moving and taking a risk to someplace that is warm to avoid the harsh and expensive winters in the north. I can sweat and it doesn't cost me a cent, and I won't mind. But we have to have heat!

The states are GA, FL, TX and CA, I plan to start out in section 8 affordable housing. All of these states all are in the top 11 for # of technology job, GA having the least at 162,000 which is quite a bit more than here.

My main question is, where is the best state (and city please) to do this kind of move, the state where I can give myself the best chance at finding a job in Computer Technology. My state is a dead end, working in IT here for 4-6 years has taught me how competitive it is for the few jobs avail here. Makes me think I might as well be in SD.

I have a degree in Computer Information Technology. I know Oracle, SQL, and several programming languages and I'm a thorough analyst. My passion is Oracle, but I do like to program. I'd like to avoid working in PL/SQL and stay with embedded SQL or DBA work.

This has been great, still accepting answers..Merry Christmas all!!

You said CA TX and MA. Should I even bother with florida or georgia? THANK you.

Favorite Answer

There are still lots of jobs where we do our own programming in the USA. H-1Bs eventually take their stuff home with them and make the work public domain. Too many places want to keep it confidential.

You need to look for work in MA, TX and CA first. Look on www.monster.com

Also note there are big waiting lists for section 8 housing in these places. And there are few landlords who accept section 8 vouchers. But if you get a real programming job, you will not need section 8 anyway.

CA is questionable - a lot of the IT jobs there went away when the Silicon Valley market crashed. It's also crazy expensive to live there both in terms of housing and taxes.

In TX, the hot area right now seems to be Houston. There's also no state income tax there still (afaik.)

FL definitely has no state income tax still...Tampa seems to be the hot spot for jobs at the moment.

GA does have a state income tax. Not surprisingly, Atlanta is the heavy employer.

One place you might've overlooked is NC - the Research Triangle area between Raleigh and Durham is usually pretty active in IT jobs.

About as easy as trying to give a domestic cat a bath. There are no licensed trade skilled American workers in the United States to do these major projects. Except Anabaptist's, and none of them have gold license's, to legally do the project. It will be all foreign gold licensed skilled workers brought in to do it, Americans would only get laboring jobs. The United States is a bunch of service workers everyone globally knows that, it's illegal to do any skilled project without a gold trade license. Mechanics, builders, electricians, plumbers, etc etc, they all have to be licensed. So there covered by public liability and workers compensation otherwise them, nor the general public aren't covered by insurance. If these bridges or any was carried out by unskilled persons it's illegal, it will take four years to get them apprenticed to get there gold trade licenses. There are no shortcuts, so nothing will get done during Obama's presidential term, it's all just here say. So you have to get used them falling down like in the Roadrunner cartoons. Read the back of any insurance you have for your house or car, it's written in plain English a licensed tradesperson has to do the work, or your not covered.

• Mr_B

H1-B's have killed your occupation. That being said-- It won't help you moving and then searching for a job. You need to have good, solid job opportunities set up in advance before you even consider moving--that's a majorly huge risk moving before you have a job.

You can post your resume around on the internet--such as on Monster.com--or read all of the cities you mentioned classifieds each and every day until something matches your experience level and expertise.

Have you thought about going back to school? They offer a lot of extra help for students.

Dice is where most IT types go to look for work. Just type in your job name/title, or skill set & see what states or cities have the most jobs you are looking for. Having said that, finding a job in this recession is very, very tough. I think your best shot for finding work, would be Texas or the DC area. California is going thru severe budgetary problems & many job cuts. I just don't see many jobs there.

For every job advertised, there are dozens of applicants. Good luck, you will need it.

Source(s): www.dice.com
  • Kini

What does a Sec 8 voucher have to do with finding a job? If you already have a voucher you can transfer it to any state and county by letting your Housing Authority know ahead of time. If you dont have a voucher for subsidized housing you have to apply in your state of residence and it takes about 5 years to get one.

I suggest to you while you are looking for a job, since you have an extensive experience in computer programming, why not you try freelance job, there are several websites you can join start work by your own.

Source(s): www.freelancer.com/affiliates/wAsEemsH