I am an unemployed computer programmer?

I have 4 1/2 yrs industry experience programming in multiple languages. I've been unemployed for awhile, was taking care of a family member. I'm willing to work for almost nothing or even to volunteer, however in my state there are very few information technology jobs (around 60,000) to even apply for,... show more I have 4 1/2 yrs industry experience programming in multiple languages.
I've been unemployed for awhile, was taking care of a family member.
I'm willing to work for almost nothing or even to volunteer, however in my state there are very few information technology jobs (around 60,000) to even apply for, and in my city, none.
I've never tried to apply for work in the tech hubs of Boston, NY, Chicago, Atlanta, San Jose, can someone tell me more about my odds of landing an entry level job doing programming, dba or any kind of IT work even if I offer to work for free at first?

I am considering moving and taking a risk to someplace that is warm to avoid the harsh and expensive winters in the north. I can sweat and it doesn't cost me a cent, and I won't mind. But we have to have heat!

The states are GA, FL, TX and CA, I plan to start out in section 8 affordable housing. All of these states all are in the top 11 for # of technology job, GA having the least at 162,000 which is quite a bit more than here.

My main question is, where is the best state (and city please) to do this kind of move, the state where I can give myself the best chance at finding a job in Computer Technology. My state is a dead end, working in IT here for 4-6 years has taught me how competitive it is for the few jobs avail here. Makes me think I might as well be in SD.

I have a degree in Computer Information Technology. I know Oracle, SQL, and several programming languages and I'm a thorough analyst. My passion is Oracle, but I do like to program. I'd like to avoid working in PL/SQL and stay with embedded SQL or DBA work.
Update: This has been great, still accepting answers..Merry Christmas all!!
Update 2: You said CA TX and MA. Should I even bother with florida or georgia? THANK you.