Christians, Isn't this amazing....That Sheep Know the Voice of Their Shepherd?

THE following report on shepherding in the Middle East casts interesting light on Jesus’ illustration at John 10:2-5, wherein he speaks of the sheep as knowing the voice of their shepherd and their being given names:

“The modern shepherd . . . has a wonderful memory, which retains the name of every sheep. The flocks sometimes contain several hundred, and yet each one has a name and the shepherd knows it, and calls every sheep by its proper name. . . . [One observer] tells of watching shepherds with flocks upon the slopes of Mount Hermon: ‘Each shepherd . . . trains his sheep to come at his call, to go in order, in twos or fours, in squares and circles; one from the outer circle in a flock of a thousand will come when its name is called.’ It is the voice of the shepherd that the sheep recognizes.

“A stranger once declared to a Syrian shepherd that the sheep knew the dress and not the voice of their master. The shepherd said it was the voice they knew. To prove this, he exchanged dresses with the stranger, who went among the sheep in the shepherd’s dress, calling the sheep in imitation of the shepherd’s voice, and tried to lead them. They knew not his voice, but when the shepherd called them, though he was disguised, the sheep ran at once at his call.”—Orientalisms in Bible Lands, by E. W. Rice, pp. 159-161.

Jesus Says: Look! I am standing at the door and knocking. If anyone hears "my voice" and opens the door, I will come into his [house] and take the evening meal with him and he with me. (Revelation 3:20)

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Isn't it amazing that these same "sheep" have so many different interpretations of Jesus' message?

• Sara

I've owned a flock of sheep, and here is what I think of them.

They are quite sensitive to anything strange, whether it be a strange truck, a new person, a neighbor's dog, a new noise such as a low-flying airplane or a helicopter.

If the stranger, no matter how he was dressed, appeared in the field, that is what they would sense and be afraid of. It's not the voice, it's the vibes of a stranger.

Sheep are not stupid. My Border Collie was able to train them, so that all she would have to do is look at them and start walking, and the sheep would rush to go where the collie always put them. It was like, "Oh, here comes the collie, she wants us in the pen by the barn," and they would gallop over there and put themselves away. No voice was necessary. The collie would lie down in the sun and grin at me, mission accomplished.

My sheep all had names but I never spent any time trying to get them to come when I called. Perhaps a shepherd who was extremely bored might be able to do it if he worked at it long enough.

Mostly sheep are motivated by food and distrust.

We are all His sheep and Jesus told us we are. God's word says we are His sheep. Yes I am a prayer warrior but that does not negate being His sheep. I love you Lord and I lift my voice to worship you oh my soul rejoice! Take joy my King in what you hear let it be a sweet sweet, sweet sound in your ear. Let it be a sweet, sweet sound in your ear. Just felt like worshiping the Lord I hear the voice of the Good Shepherd and a strangers voice I will not follow.

Yes, the real sheep know the voice of the master - shepherd, but not the human sheep.

The present voice is not the owner's - Shepherd Jesus - voice, now it is some unknown people's voice.

Yes. Sheep will react to the sound of the one they consider their guardian be it a human Shepherd os a sheep dog. I have even sen horses go out to collect the sheep to com home to the safety of the sheep pens.

All a farmer - who knows his sheep and is known by them - needs to do in order to get the sheep to follow or come home is to whistle.

Source(s): This is based on mutual trust and at last daily contact with one another

Well the sheep at my local farm know the bark of a dog and the dog knows the whistling of the Shepherd... maybe this is a good metaphor for main stream religion.

Sheep have brains...

All animals know the voices of their care takers.

That's not really all that amazing...

Good thing I have evolved enough to have a brain bigger than a sheep, and I can think and rationalize for myself.....no shepherd required.

You can lead a horse to water...

but, you'll never get him to water ski!

Nice sermon, I hope someone listens.

Source(s): hope

Baaaa!