Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 10 years ago

Will North Korea attack South Korea?

My friend is moving to the east coast of South Korea for a job next week. I'm a bit worried. What do you think?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Things are not always what they seem to be or as reported in the media, as the leaked cables have shown us. The DPRK (North) has been smarting under the allegations that they torpedoed the ROK's (South) warship. But they have offered to allow international and ROK teams to inspect their torpedoes to show that they are quite different from the pieces retrieved from the ocean floor, an offer which had been rejected. It is not unknown for practice torpedoes from the DPRK to be retrieved by the US and ROK and re-fitted with live warheads. Many analysts believe that it was one such torpedo which was used by the west in order to "fit up" the DPRK and increase pressure on them and to distract the gaze of the world from Iraq and Afghanistan. It was, in other words, another Mukden (an excuse manufactured by the Japanese to invade China) or Gulf of Tonkin (US invention to blame N. Vietnam for starting the war) incidents.

Smarting under this sense of injustice, the DPRK armed forces have reacted unwisely and against the wishes of the leadership which was at the time being weakened by succession issues and had lost its grip on the army.

The fact the ROK president has been telling Malaysian politicians that unity between the North and South is likely soon shows that behind the scene the two camps are closer than ever to rapproachment, a move which has alarmed the US because it would lead to a weakening of US influence over the Korean peninsula. Hence, it insistence on staging the provocative war "exercises" a few weeks ago.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Why would they? Kim Jong Ill is a dictator. A dictators goal is to stay in power. How does attacking another support country keep you in power? Especially considering that North Korea has to rely on outside help for food and fuel. China and Russia would stop supporting them if they did it. In fact, China would probably invade them first to keep them from losing the war and being united with South Korea. It benefits China to have North Korea as a buffer. Kim Jong Ill is well aware of this. Kim Jong Ill is testing the world and does this every time there is a changing of power in the US.

• 10 years ago

What type of attack are you talking about? Full scale war? I can't see that happening anytime soon. The south are set to hold military drills imminently on the island that NK attacked weeks ago and the North have warned that if they carry out these drills then they will retaliate with unprecedented military strikes on the South. South Korea have warned the North that if they attack again then an air stile on the North will be ordered, the situation is on a knife edge. The entire world is focused on these two nations has they step ever closer to all out war, humanity watches in concern as these two nations fight and NK in particular threatens the world's security and humanitys safery's, that mad man will not hesitate to use the weapons he has to destroy our nations, China must stop him before it's too late. Full scale war could break out at anytime but I don't see it as imminent...yet.

• 10 years ago

Not anytime soon. It will depend on if China will support them really. I hope not considering im South Korean. Also, we probably already have some weapons pointed at North Korea just in case. So if they do, we'll shut it down pretty fast.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

No, They know that if they do the entire West (European Union, Japan, Australia and the USA) Will absolutely destroy them.

• 10 years ago

They already have a number of times. There is nothing to indicate this will stop.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I heard they recently did.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.