Would you buy a 1999 Honda Accord EX with 160,000 miles on it?

I am interested in this car:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2114818237.html

It looks very nice, has every feature I want, and He's willing to sell it for $2,800.

The only thing that worries me is the miles.

What do you guys think?? Maybe lower the price or what?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Depends on the condition and what repairs or maintenance has been done recently: timing belt last replaced when? Any other major work done recently? How is the exhaust system? If it has ever been replaced were Hand parts used? Has the transmission been maintained with regular fluid changes, using the correct fluid? If it is a manual tranny has the clutch ever been replaced and if so when? Is there any rust - seen or unseen? How are the brakes? when were they last replaced? Does the heater and AC work? If the AC works that can be an indication that the car was well maintained. Many times on an older model car when the

ac stops working and the owner does not fix it, this can be an indication that other maintenance was not kept up. Tires are not important but if they are well worn that does affect the current value.

Have it checked out thoroughly by a mechanic to make sure or at least take it to a place like Firestone and pay them $20 to give it a quick safety inspection.

Check out the price for the year and model and condition at kbb.com and/or nada.com for your area. One good thing about it - the mileage does not seem to have been tampered with so this could indicate that the seller is an honest person. If everything looks good after all the aforementioned, make an offer of $2300 and see if it gets accepted.

Judging by looks, it looks really good and I can see why you are interested in buying it. Could be a real value. Anyone should be willing to pay $1000 for a car that will last only one year. this one looks like it should be good for more than 3 years at less than $3000 and that makes it worth $2800 as long as there is no reason to suspect any problems with it. If it was serviced at the local Honda dealer they will have records on it in their computer. Also if the oil was changed at Jiffy lube or a similar place you may find a sticker on the door pillar or windshield to that effect. Call them and they can verify the maintenance that they did on it. Don't worry if oil changes were not done every 3000 miles. The 3000 mile oil change is a myth and a waste of natural resources and money.

How many miles will you be driving it in a year? That will help you determine how long it may last you. 20,000 a year for 3 more years will result in 220,000 on the car. That should not be a problem if the car is in as good shape as it appears.

I paid $5000 for a 1996 Accord wagon 2 years ago but it only had 42,000 miles on it but it did not look as nice as this 1999 model.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

I agree with "integra type R".A Honda with 160K is just getting warmed up.High mileage on a Honda is a sign of durability as Hondas were designed to go way past the warranty period and then some.That car is listed at KBB.com at $3995.00 in "good"shape(private party value)assuming it's a 4 cylinder.My Accord is a 14 year old ride at 287K and still has gobs of power and very good milage figures.The timing belt can kill a good Honda.Make sure it is been recently serviced.

Source(s): www.kbb.com
  • 9 years ago

God there are a lot of stupid people here. Hondas arent MADE to last 200k..they can last 500k easy or even a million. Look on honda mileage makers they have a hybrid civic with 800,000 miles on it! 160k is nothing. Make sure the timing belt was changed. I would avoid the V6 as the quality of automatics was sketchy in the V6s. The car is 12 years old, so 160k is 13k a year! That is HIGH mileage?

• 9 years ago

tell him youll pay $2400 for it (max) & hell yea as long as it doesnt have any problems (these cars are good to 400-600k miles if taken proper care of, even if ran hard semi regularly).

oh and this "its 11 years old & has so many miles" crap is coming from pampered people that think only new cars run good, & assume cars just automatically fall apart.

ive got news for you, how many late 80's toyota camrys/acura integras/honda civics/nissan trucks&cars/subarus do you see on the road driving great every single day?

"OMG 25 years old!?! its going to light itself on fire & blow up catastrophically!!!!"

people like this are why car companys can make lineups that are 80% crap & still sell tons of cars every year, because people think you need new cars every 90-100k miles LOL.

my 94 accord EX with 2.2 vtec & auto tranny got a header & cold air intake, & i ran the dog crap clear out of it to redline with 340k miles on it when i got it, & drove it like that to 440k before i got rid of it, & the trans/engine were PERFECT, had GOBS of power.

Source(s): also 90-94 luminas/87-94 s10's, just pay attention to how many of those bad boys you see on the road in a day & most have over 240 (and those arent built half as well as a honda as far as engines & trans go!!)
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

go for it man its the best car with best price. and regarding to the miles. no problemo cuz its 11 years old car. every old car like this has that much miles. and if its driven properly if its 200000 its no problemo amigo

• 9 years ago

i think i would. honda's are made to last till about 200k miles on them... but only if they have been properly serviced. you need to ask the guy if it has had regular oil change; tire pressure checks; etc. but if he says that it was properly maintained and that there is no obvious damage that you can see... then i would say that the 2800 would be a fair price

• that is way too much for a car with 160,000. the fair price is closer to $900. I would hold out for a better deal and there are plenty of better deals out there on craigslist.

• nick
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

if you do buy it, your in for a timing belt change in the next 20k miles (~$700-$800), and also you better be ready to have alot of squeaks and rattles

• 9 years ago

It's 11 years old and has a lot of miles on it. I wouldn't even consider it.

• 3 years ago

Don't consider that is correct

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.