Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

Why is salvia legal but marijuana is illegal?

Why is salvia legal and marijuana illegal? Salvia is a lot worse than weed, I don't understand why it remains legal. It makes you trip right? Why would they let that be legal? I just don't understand.

Best Answer

The reasons are complex, but can be summed down to one word. "Money". William Randolf Hearst owned a huge chain of newspapers. He had invested heavily in the timber industry to support his newspaper chain and didn’t want to see the development of hemp paper in competition. One acre of hemp can actually produce as much paper as 4-10 acres of trees. He would constantly trash marijuana in his newspapers. Another man by the name of Harry J. Anslinger would be the straw that broke the camels back. The Federal Bureau of Narcotics was established on June 14, 1930. Harry J. Anslinger was appointed its first commissioner. Anslinger realized that opiates and cocaine wouldn’t be enough to support his agency. This is when he decided to start a campaign in an effort to make marijuana illegal at a federal level. In 1937 he would bring up the marijuana tax act which made it so it would require a stamp in order to grow marijuana. There was one problem. No one was giving them out. This is just a summery of the reasons why marijuana is illegal. If you would like to go more in depth, I strongly suggest that you read a book by the name of "The emperor wears no clothes". Here is a link so that you can read it for free. http://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

because the world is a joke!

Marijuana in my opinion and has been shown in a lot of studies to be GOOD for you, its a medicine, don't listen to people when they say it's bad for the lungs and stuff, because there's never been a marijuana only smoker who has got lung cancer and if anyone tells me that marijuana is bad I will pull out a 9mm gun and shoot them in the balls! and I don't even smoke weed much I only smoke on weekends or monthly.

Source(s): studying cannabis for a while.

You can stop that right now. You're trying to use reason to analyze drug policy. There's none to be had. It's almost completely brain stem driven.

Because it's newly introduced. They havn't had time ti make it illegal.

it will be illegal soon.. better stock up