Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 9 years ago

What do you think Tax money paying for jailed illegal immigrants’ sex-change hormones?

HOUSTON – While Texas lawmakers overturned legislation in 2006 that allowed inmates to receive Viagra with tax money, some inmates –including illegal immigrants -- are still receiving prescribed sex hormones behind bars.

Jose Centeno is proof. He just became a U.S. citizen, but in 2009, Immigrations and Customs Enforcement detained him after investigating his immigration status and visa because of a previous felony drug conviction. ICE prescribed him sex hormones while he was locked up, because Centeno said it was medically necessary.

"I'm transgender so I am taking female hormones," he said. "It's not a choice, I was born, and I already knew I was born, in the wrong body, so it wasn't a choice -- I need those meds/hormone therapy to be who I am, but it's not a choice."

Centeno is now known as Krystal. He appeared to be a woman when he was detained by immigration, and he still does. He has never had surgery to alter his gender and doesn't plan to, but his daily dose of the female hormone Premarin helps him appear like a woman.

"The first thing you see is the growth of facial hair -- it slows down, it doesn't grow as fast as normal for a male,” Centeno said. "Of course with your breasts growing, your mind starts changing."

That change comes at a price. Ultimately, tax money paid for the convicted felon -- who wasn't a U.S. citizen -- to maintain his appearance as a woman.

http://www.khou.com/news/investigative/I-Team-Taxp...

Favorite Answer

Pathetic. Basic health care is one thing but there is no need for Viagra whatsoever.

hormone replacement is one thing, but Viagra? That's NOT medically necessary for anyone. It's just a perk,

• Zerk

(1) People in prison still need standard medical treatment. Anything less would be cruel and unusual, and not worthy policy for a civilized society. And hormone replacement therapy is certainly standard medical treatment for transsexuals.

(2) Hormones are not so expensive that i would even think about it much at all! Of all the ways our country is hemorrhaging money, basic health care to prisoners is just small change!

• As a Transsexual woman who is on cross-hormone therapy, I can attest to the fact that being denied my hormones for any reason would be extremely traumatic, and probably result in my developing suicidal thoughts. Suddenly "removing" hormones from a person's system is also a health risk. The body needs sex hormones to function correctly, if not estrogen, then testosterone. The testes don't instantly start producing testosterone just because you take away the estrogen. In many cases, the testes have atrophied, and never return to their pre-hormone level of functionality. No matter how you slice it, it's a shock to the body.

That said, our prison system exists to protect society from dangerous people, and to "rehabilitate" them so they can return to society as productive people. Immigrants are not going to be returned to our society, so NO MONEY should be spent to incarcerate them. NOBODY who is not a U.S. citizen should be in an American prison for more than the amount of time it takes their homeland to "collect them", because they DON'T BELONG HERE. The problem is, they came here by breaking the law, and then obviously broke additional laws while they were here, so they HAVE committed crimes against *our* society, and due deserve to be punished. In theory, they should be extradited back to their own countries and forced to serve their sentences out in their native prisons, but that's never going to happen. We could force the embassies of the countries from which these illegal immigrants hail to construct prisons for their convicted nationals, but that's not likely to happen either.

I would argue that the fairest solution would be that if the illegal "detainee" wants drugs for a medical condition, he/she must either pay for them themselves, or have their families or relatives pay for them. Estrogen is ridiculously inexpensive, so it's not creating any significant taxpayer burden, but it's the principle that matters. If they have no one to pay for these drugs, than we should send the bill to the governments from which the illegals hail. If THEY don't want to pay, then the prisoner is SOL. Frankly, we should charge the governments of other countries for every penny we spend dealing with their law-breaking citizens who are here illegally. Then maybe you'd see some better border control.

Lesson to all - if you're a Transsexual person and you go to another country, DON'T break the law. If you're a Transsexual person living in this country, DON'T break the law. Put simply, DON'T break the law, because prison is just about the worst place in the world that a Transsexual woman can find herself. Your life (or death) will be at the whims of others. That's reality.

No wonder illegals are coming here, once they get arrested, they get a complete medical package.Better then 75% of Americans get.Our seniors cannot get ss cola but illegals can get preferred medical services free of charge

• The Prison system in this country is a cash cow for special interests.

WTF!! And what is really sad is that alot of seniors can't even afford medicine, but we will pay for this BS!