This week in the UK an ex cabinet minister has suggested that we should legalise the controlled drugs?

I am undecided on this as both sides of the argument have merits, so I would like the community to comment. Please do not be emotive, try not to look at the problem from the point of view of the users who may be seen as criminals or victims. Concentrate on the benefit to society on the whole, for instance if we... show more I am undecided on this as both sides of the argument have merits, so I would like the community to comment. Please do not be emotive, try not to look at the problem from the point of view of the users who may be seen as criminals or victims. Concentrate on the benefit to society on the whole, for instance if we legalise we can tax it like tobacco, or will legalisation increase use, would crime increase or decrease, why? What are the wider benefits or disadvantages of legalisation. Consider the model set in the 'prohibition years' in the USA, how did that work, did it work? what can we learn from this, who benefited, who lost out? I would stress to any contributor that this is not an assignment or homework, purely a gauge of opinion. Thanks for taking time to reply.