Anonymous

Do you believe the Native American Genocide should be recognized?

If so, why?

And go like this page, the truth will be revealed to those unaware. http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=172855541...

• Favorite Answer

not only the genocide that has occurred in the past but the one that is still being perpetrated by the governments of usa and canada. it has not stopped, they just changed the tactics. government definitions of who can claim to be native (blood quantum) is designed to breed out our nations. intentional adverse conditions on many reservations is designed to force native people out of our communities and disappear into the general population. there are many more ways your governments are trying to "do away with their indian problem."

for those who might doubt there was a genocide against native people in north america.....

Adopted by Resolution 260 (III) A of the United Nations General Assembly on 9 December 1948.

http://www.hrweb.org/legal/genocide.html

Article 2

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

 (a) Killing members of the group;

(the many massacres and campaigns aimed at killing native americans regardless of age or gender is well documented. Nothing more needs to be said here.)

 (b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;

(the conditions imposed on native people on reservations was designed to cause them harm. Studies have also shown that the stereotype in the dominant culture and the portrayal of native people as war like, drunk, and lazy, also affects native children and how they see themselves.)

 (c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;

(the reservation system was designed to “contain” native people so they could be destroyed more efficiently. Starvation was one tactic and biological warfare another. today the governments allows toxic waste from nuclear plants and mining operations to be dumped on native reservations. many reservation in usa and canada do not have drinking water because of this contamination and the birth defects and cancer rates are the highest in the country.)

 (d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;

(up until the late 1980s, native women were sterilized as a matter of policy by IHS doctors. These sterilizations were done without their consent and in many cases against the women’s will.)

 (e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

(native children were taken by force from their families and sent to residential schools often hundreds of miles from home. There they were trained to be “white” and in many cases were sexually and physically abused. Over 50,000 children between the ages of 3 and 15 were killed in these institutions in canada alone and similar numbers in usa. many of these schools remained open into the 1990s and survivors of them are still alive. Until 1973, native children in usa were also removed from their mothers as infants and adopted out to white families as an attempt to assimilate native people into white society.)

Source(s): mohawk

I admire the Native Americans, Crazy Horse, Geronimo and the Apache in particular; the history is very complex. There were many people in the American Revolution, like Hugh Henry Brackenridge, who predicted that if American policies towards Native Americans weren't changed, genocide would result. An 1812 essay by Washington Irving warned the same thing- it's called "Traits of Indian Character" and is part of his Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon" (which includes the famous Rip Van Winkle story.) I disagree that the colonists submitted to Native American rule, per se, but they did have to respect the land and treaties and war resulted when they were not- the Pequot Wars were the greatest loss of life in American history (in proportion to the population). The French exploited the Natives during the French-Indian Wars; the British exploited the Native Americans during the Revolutionary War; Chief Joseph Brant was one of them, and most fought against the Colonists- the Wyoming Massacre and the murder of Jane McCrea (if it was a murder- that's what they thought at the time but no-one knows for certain), all led to armed conflicts with the Six Nations and other tribes. When gold was discovered in the sacred Black Hills, the treaties protecting them were ignored. Study Andrew Jackson's "Trail of Tears." There's a disgraceful history against Native Americans, including genocide, but some of your specific points are difficult to support as facts.

Like some said there is genocide of the white race. But his answer was censored by liberals with an agenda of not letting other voices get heard.

Yes of course I believe the Native American gneocide should be recognized too.

>>>Absolutely, the government apologized to black people for slavery and segregation.

Excuse you? The Irish were in slavery too(NOT "indentured servants"). Look it up.

How dare you seclude just black people.

Google "black slave owners".

There WERE a significant amount of free black slave owners AND Native American slave owners.

It wasn't always a white-on-black thing. I'm TIRED of people ignorance about slavery, as if it was only on black people and only black people were the victim. No, some were the slave owners themselves.

Their was no genocide of native americans last I checked there is still a huge population of them living in south america. It is not the white mans fault that they were and still are genetically and technologically inferior to every other race of people on the earth. They have to own up to the facts that their ancestors were to stupid to come out of the stone age.

Definitely, atleast just as much as the holocaust.. I mean come on, it's even worse because these guys were on their own territory!

My school has made me go to holocaust museums twice, but I don't remember a Native American one. It's almost discusting.

I recognize it. I try to carry the right kind of information and share it. I surround myself with the right kind of people.

It no longer matters to me what the current authorities have to say about how things were, how they are or how they should be.

Genocide prior to 1948 will not be recognized under international law (the law came about from WW2). So basically you have ZERO chance of having it recognized as genocide. Besides if you could recognize it as genocide what do you hope to achieve? Reparations? Money? Many nations of people have been genocided prior to 1948. What makes native Ameicans so special that they should be singled out? Besides technically "native Americans" still exist. There is plenty of them in South America. "Native Americans" are just Mongols. And the last time I looked there was over 3 billion of them on Earth. If anyone is at risk of genocide its white people being only 9% of the planet and dropping fast. They also have recessive genes so their demise will be faster.

salishlady - So you're native-American are you? You look white to me. Laughable stuff. You call me uneducated yet you're the one resorting to name calling and petty insults. I have plenty of evidence. Namely the fact that the native-Americans came across the land bridge connecting north America and Asia during last ice age. Note the word ASIA. Hello. How do you think Native Americans actually got to the Americas? I suppose you just think they materialised out of thin air huh? Besides so called "native-Americans" are not even native to north America in the first place, It has been proven beyond doubt that Europeans were in North America well before "native Americans" were. Just look up Kennickwick man and the winddover bog people. Look at these videos. Scientific evidence that proves Europeans were in America before "native-Americans." But don't expect to learn about this at high school or in any text book because its not POLITICALLY CORRECT *rolls eyes* People like you however clearly have no interest in the objective truth, hence why you probably won't even watch these 2 short videos proving my theory correct. I've examined the evidence on both sides of the equation and made my decision. Have you? So who really is the "ignorant one" here huh? I think its YOU.

Goto 6:50 min in this video that proves Europeans were in America before Indians. What you say to that smarty pants? Evidence enough for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbayBEbIEwc

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT0EW0z3chw

Youtube thumbnail

• Salish

The real sad fact about Cory, is that he doesnt mean to be an ignorant ***. He actually thinks he is learned and intelligent. I wonder, does he have any sources other than fifth grade social studies text books that are out dated, undersourced and mostly fabricated versions of history? probably not.

Hi Cory, I am mixed, I never claim to only have native american ancestors, some of mine are from Palestine, others are from Ireland and Scotland (even these ancestors I know the names/birthplaces of etc, I have strong cultural ties with each of my ethnicities) and some are from the pacific northwest of continental north america. As for my "look", I am really interested in how many native americans you actually personally know and from how many regions (even in europe there is great diversity in appearance between peoples, take the Irish and Spanish for example, so I imagine it wouldnt be too much to ask you to step outside of your little mental box and realize that there is more to our people than hollywood has to offer, tribes from the midwest and tribes northwest dont look alike ;) I am an enrolled member of the Suquamish Tribe

We base enrollment off of who we are genetically related to, and (unfortunately) how much blood quentum we have. My tribe decided when I was born that I was of acceptable, recognizable decendency from people who were present at the treaty signing between my tribe and the U.S. government, and of sufficient blood quantum. My children and I are all tribal members, it is not up to you, a non-native, to determine who belongs to our tribal family and who does not. Be humble, please, you are not significant.

Europe, was covered in Ice until 10,000 years ago. Research it. 10,000 years ago, the ancestors of europeans moved in from the middle east and asia. Research it ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_glacial_period http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v97/n2/full/6800...

Feel free to challenge and research anything you read in this article, it will only prove my point furthur. And a bit of advice, the humility to admit when you are ignornt, the grace to accept when you are wrong, and a bit of humble curiosity to ask questions to be educated in what you do not know will get you much further in life than protecting your ignorant beliefs out of pride and shame. I know from experience, it is never too late to become a good student ;)

What your video suggests is that European culture evolved in Europe (before many people were in Europe as it was covered in ice) then moved over here, didnt evolve any further just picked up and moved back to europe a few generations later without leaving any descendants, and waiting until then to continue their cultural evolution one thousand years before other Europeans other than hunter/gatherers got there? All this from a weaving example?? hmm....I teach Salish Textile Arts at Northwest Indian College. I have studied woven art forms from several cultures, and all have common themes (along with great diversity). The twill and twining weaving methods, however, are present in every culture as they are the two easiest, most common methods of weaving. There are several, yet limitied, patterns that can be made by hand with a simple floorloom (the most common ancient looms in all cultures) whose patterns I have noticed are present in ALL cultures that weave with yarns made from animal wools/hairs. How a combination of the patterns/textures/colors is made is what distinguishes a people culturally, yet due to artisitic creativity on behalf of a weaver, sometimes a pattern is created by person in one culture that may be uncommon where they come from, but may be common somewhere else. It doesnt take too much creativity to imagine this, but your theory that Europeans came here first based off of a weaving, with no genetic links, does.

Anyways, Now to pick apart the Kennewick man. He has NEVER been genetically tested, there is NO SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH TO PROVE HIS ETHNICITY. all speculation is based off of his garments and reconstructed face (the facial reconstruction was not done by a specialist, mind you, the kennewick man was reconstructed by a novice) It is believed by white people that his "nose" is European, therefore he was white. I hate to break it to you, no matter how intact a persons face may be (which his was not) you CANNOT possibly know what a persons nose cartilage looked like. Even if his "nose" was correctly reconstructed, you cannot base a persons ethnicity on the shape of their nose. I only laugh at you furthur for using these examples as "evidence"

Source(s): Native American, http://www.manataka.org/page410.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqMi9YDRlEI&feature... a good article that debunks the landbridge theory, and the belief that Kennewick man was European. read it if you can ;) Or choose to be ignorant and laughed at. Its up to you.

We already do, do you mean we should apologize for it? Absolutely, the government apologized to black people for slavery and segregation. So why not apologize to the natives?

The White Genocide (the effects of liberal divershitty and multiculturalism) should be recognized and stopped.