Is this a realistic career goal (photography/web design/travel)?

My ultimate goal is to have like a sort of travel website of my own where I post photos from my travels (I want to travel the world) and write articles about travel and such. I also have quite a few possible additional idea for the travel site, but it's a secret ;)

Anyways, I figure I'd get a degree in photography and possibly computer/web something (haven't quite figured that out yet)

Then save up a bunch of money (as quickly as possible) buy a nice big boat that I can live on and travel the world in (probably not alone) and start up my website and maintain it from where ever I am in the world.

I'd like to do like google and make money off the website through advertising, but is there another way to make money from a website? I'd like my website to be free (at first anyhow)

So, is this realistic?

and is it doable by the time I'm no older than 30 years old? (I'm 20 now)

Favorite Answer

It's possible, but it requires more work than I think you realize. Only about 5-10 independent travel bloggers are able to make enough money to support their travels, and their certainly not rolling in it. They also work very, very hard.

I suggest that you consider teaching abroad while you travel (at least at first). You can make very good money to support yourself and your travels. When you tire of one location you can just move onto the next. While you are doing this, start your travel blog and build a following. If you're good, and you work hard at it, you may be able to quite the teaching gig and travel full-time. This is actually exactly how a lot of the successful travel bloggers started.

Good luck!

Andrew

you must be using Facebook, it's creator is the youngest billionaire in the world.

yes it is possible to do all this.

I guess you must start by creating a blog of your own and try to attract maximum no of hits which will definitely help you to make money online.

You mentioned you are interested in photography and web designing (actually you didn't :p).

If you know photography you can sell your photos online or upload design tutorials on websites like photoshoptutorials.com and earn money.