promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 9 years ago

For Image analysis What is more important, cache, more RAM or faster CPU?

Hi,

I am a student and will be working mainly on Image Analysis and a little bit on simulations. I am looking for a desktop for this purpose. First, I would like to have suggestions if anyone has any idea what kind of configuration I should use? i looked for Dell Vostro and Inspiron and I am getting :

1) i5 with 2.8 GHz 8MB L2 Cache with 4GB dual channel memory - Vostro

2) i5 with 3.2 GHz 4MB cache and 6GB memory - Inspiron

Which one is preferable?

Thanks.

Update:

Thanks, I will be using softwares like Image J or Matlab for analyzing large stacks of images. First one is i5 760 - 4 core with 2.8 GHz 8MB L2 Cache with 4GB dual channel memory - Dell Vostro and another one is i5 650 - 2 core with 3.2 GHz 4MB cache and 6GB memory - Dell Inspiron. I am confused for 4 cores with less speed is more efficient or 2 cores with more speed and there is a cache difference as well.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • C-Man
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When you say image analysis, what are the specific applications you'll be using? And which specific Core i5 processor models are you considering? There are both dual-core and quad-core Core i5 processors, and you'll definitely wand a quad (Core i5 7xx series instead of 6xx)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Bob
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The i5 3.2 is good. cache is memory on the cpu a good place for it. To save and still get bang for your buck, try Ram Boost set your virtual memory high all will help with little cost.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.