Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 9 years ago

For Image analysis What is more important, cache, more RAM or faster CPU?

Hi,

I am a student and will be working mainly on Image Analysis and a little bit on simulations. I am looking for a desktop for this purpose. First, I would like to have suggestions if anyone has any idea what kind of configuration I should use? i looked for Dell Vostro and Inspiron and I am getting :

1) i5 with 2.8 GHz 8MB L2 Cache with 4GB dual channel memory - Vostro

2) i5 with 3.2 GHz 4MB cache and 6GB memory - Inspiron

Which one is preferable?

Thanks.

Thanks, I will be using softwares like Image J or Matlab for analyzing large stacks of images. First one is i5 760 - 4 core with 2.8 GHz 8MB L2 Cache with 4GB dual channel memory - Dell Vostro and another one is i5 650 - 2 core with 3.2 GHz 4MB cache and 6GB memory - Dell Inspiron. I am confused for 4 cores with less speed is more efficient or 2 cores with more speed and there is a cache difference as well.

• C-Man
    Favorite Answer

When you say image analysis, what are the specific applications you'll be using? And which specific Core i5 processor models are you considering? There are both dual-core and quad-core Core i5 processors, and you'll definitely wand a quad (Core i5 7xx series instead of 6xx)

• Bob

The i5 3.2 is good. cache is memory on the cpu a good place for it. To save and still get bang for your buck, try Ram Boost set your virtual memory high all will help with little cost.