Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

what are synonyms and antonyms of biannually?

• bfalls
    Favorite Answer

Biannual and biannually are words to avoid because they have two meanings: twice a year and once every two years. To avoid misunderstandings it's better to use the more common and less ambiguous words semiannual (for twice a year or once every six months) and biennial (once every two years).

So biannual has one synonym for each of its meanings, as I've described them above. I guess you could say that each of these words is the antonym of the other meaning of "biannually," but really they're the mathematical inverses of one another (2/1 vs. 1/2). I don't think that's the same thing as an antonym and I don't see how a mathematical value or a quantity of time or anything else can have an antonym at all.