Use of electric cars....facts/opinions?

What is your opinion of electric cars? What are some good facts about them?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Noah H
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

Pure electrics are as simple as a stone....very little will ever wear out. True, the batteries cost a lot as of now, but not buying gas, changing oil and all the other maintanence needed on a conventional car makes it better than a 'break even' purchase...particularly when the price of fuel goes up...which it will. Exactly how the states will resolve the road tax problem for drivers who don't buy gas is still up in the air...probably a flat tax per vehicle will be part of that package. As most families have two cars having a conventional high mileage car for long distance driving is going to be a part of our overall transportaion situation for another decade, but eventually finding a gas station will be the problem. An pure electric for most commuter driving definately is the future.

• Marcia
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

What I like (and don't like) about my gas engine is that I know how much money it will cost to drive 5, 10, or a tank full of miles down the street. I own an older vehicle and as such not only are the maintenance costs less but, we can perform many maintenance and repair functions at home for much less cost than having it done for us let alone the cost newer vehicle repair.

By definition, an electric car uses less fossil fuel and is therefore environmentally cheaper to run. Of course, if ones household electricity is being generated by an efficiently operating coal burning plant with little or no smoke stack emission control, then an argument could be made about just how much "better": the electric vehicle is. This is not to say that all coal plants are either inefficient nor that they have little or no smoke stack emission control; I (would like to ) believe that most have put at least some measures in place.

The Enron debacle, 1965 1977 and 2003 US Northeastern blackouts, and the annual rolling brown and blackouts in California all point out problems and ineffcientcies with our existing electric grid. Some folks estimate that upto 50% of the electricity that enters the grid from its source, never makes t to an end user. Yet, in our economic times, our current era of reduced government spending, and our lack of Federal involvement, there appear to be few if any solutions on the horzon with respect to improvements to and coordination of this very critical US infrastructure. It appears that if at this time, this infrastructure is struggling to keep up with demand. My concern is that adding electric cars to the grid without improving nor adding to the grid is bound to catch up with us.

• 9 years ago

You could ask for an opinion of a hammer. For some the EV like a special hammer takes on a particular meaning quite aside from its intended purpose. Some could not tell one hammer (or EV) from another. Some look a bit more carefully and know the difference between a framing hammer or a finishing hammer. They will look at the particular fit of the tool to their situation.

Sometimes tools start off humbly and become something much more. The drill was once only for making holes. But now they have batteries and are used to put in screws. From when the ICE first had a starter motor attached to it, electrical attachments have been making it less polluting and more efficient. The last major shift was to computerizing various operations. It is a natural progression to eliminate the petrol drive in favor of an all electric drive train.

Electric Vehicles can have power made on the vehicle for the electric drive as is done in solar cars, fuel cell vehicles, series hybrids and perhaps in the future with atomic batteries. The electric vehicle can store electricity manufactured elsewhere as in Battery electric vehicles (BEV,) but flywheels and ultracapacitors have also been used to store power. Electricity could also be transmitted to the vehicle through overhead lines, a third rail system or from lines buried in roadways where power is collected by induction pick up. When power is transmitted to the vehicle "range" essentially becomes meaningless and an electrified roadway system also could resolve the issue of apartment dwellers and public charging stations. Another benefit is the potential for automated personal transportation to resolve congestion issues.

Because electric motors have pulling power without any need to reach a target RPM (full torque from 0 RPM) they are used in the very largest vehicles as a direct drive without the need for a transmission. (Ships, trains, huge trucks) Most often in these applications they configuration is as a diesel/electric series hybrid. Because electric motors produce zero emissions we use them in many applications in our homes. An EV is clean, quiet and relatively simple. In the future some architecture may combine the garage and the living room. This kind of configuration would be dangerous and possibly disgusting with an ICE vehicle.

In public transit electric vehicles tend to outlast ICE counterpart by 3 or 8 to 1. Although initial purchase tends to be higher operating and life cycle costs are lower. The Nissan Leaf which costs about $20,000 after credits in California and some other states and about $25,000 elsewhere. The battery is worth approximately $9000 and can be amortized over its warranty period at a rate of approximately $.09 per mile. Fueling costs are approximately $.04/ mile at the US national average. Overall fueling costs of the total of $ .13 per mile is approximately equal to the present average cost of gasoline in the US for a vehicle getting 22 mpg, but this vehicle costs $11,000 to $16,000 (price less cost of the battery) The demand for the vehicle has far exceeded present production.

Source(s): references furnished upon request.
  • 9 years ago

Electric cars would be great depending on where you live. The nearest large city is 20 miles away one way so a electric with a 40 mile range would have me walking a lot. Some people in montana or Kansas may be even further from the nearest large town then I am.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • i'm no expert, but i'm willing to bet the cost of installing a special outlet in your garage (and i'm sure each company will have a specific outlet for each model), along with the spike in the electricity bill from charging your car each night, and the need to replace your super expensive battery, will cancel out any savings a consumer will have made by switching from gas to electric.

if this is the case, electric cars will not compete with traditional gas engines anytime soon.

i'm not anti-electric car, i think its a great idea...but it all comes down to dollars and cents.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Good, but I hate cars like the Prius, we need more like the Tesla (extended long range + quick charge) and Volt (combined with small diesel or gas engine). Then again I live in Silicon Vally, the place where these things were produced.

• meske
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Roy Buchanan replaced right into a god. you ought to offer him a hear. in spite of the undeniable fact that no longer probably blues, the previous Wishbone Ash stuff is a might desire to-have for any guitar participant. these days I even have been listening to Tinsley Ellis lots.

• 9 years ago

They're quiet and produce less emissions. Still a very anti-social machine though.

• 9 years ago

People evidently don't want them since very few are buying them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.