How can I keep my military baring?

Hello there. Proud member of NJROTC. NS1. seaman apprentice going on seaman. Currently, I'm in marching unit. All I wanna do is get the hell out of there to drill team with arms or color guard. I tried once for drill team with arms but made it to JV (only me and two other guys are JV :() Anyway, PC said have first priority when try outs are up again :) Problem is though, is that I have the worst baring ever. My main problem is laughing, smirking, and smiling. It's very hard not to do these things when in ranks. It's just that... everything's so funny. I can't help it. I don't want to laugh in ranks anymore. Problem is I don't know how to do so. How can I keep my baring? Take care. out.

I apologize for my spelling errors.

Favorite Answer

Hello Spyder!

You want to develop a military bearing? Because, you don't have one - yet!

You might be proud to be in Junior ROTC in high school but, until you straighten up and teach yourself to behave in a formation you won't be picked for anything that requires an element of professionalism and skill.

Are you the "class clown" in high school? That could be part of your problem. You mean well but you are acting out for attention. Being in the military means that you are part of the TEAM. You are not an "individual" but a team member. It is the force of the team, the impression that the team makes that shows the strength of the team. You are acting like a weak link in your team. And, your team will break down if you continue to laugh, smirk, and smile in the ranks.

I want you to imagine that YOU are outside the ranks and in charge of marching your formation. And, then, you look into the ranks and see YOU being a cut up.

You are going to call out: "Spyder: Settle down in the ranks!"

If you want to be on the drill team you must behave like a statue - frozen stare. Accurate response immediately to the commands you are given. There is nothing funny about it. A drill team is a precision instrument of solidarity - until someone messes it up and then they stand out like a "sore thumb."

Right now, you are a young person. In a few years you will be 18 years old. Do you plan on enlisting into the Navy?

I want you to watch: "Full Metal Jacket." There is your reality. Pay attention to Private Leonard (Gomer Pyle) Lawrence and learn from him.

Anchors Aweigh,

Larry Smith

Senior Master Sergeant, USAF (Ret.)

First Sergeant

Source(s): Previous military experience of 27 years: 1961 - 1989.

Yea you have to know that you are in the military first. D&C is a big part of the military. There is no time for laughing in formation while marching. I'm sure the drill sgt will give you something to laugh about while you are eating dirt. Keeping your BEARING is easy, know what you signed up for and get the dam job done.

Source(s): Retired Military
  • HDH

I'm sure I would have the same problem if I hadn't learned military bearing at the loving hands of a bunch of intimidating round-hat Drill Sergeants. :D

Source(s): U.S. Army 2003-2009
  • Twiggy

Uhmm... Isn't this high school you're talking about? Obviously, you're not too proud since you can't seem to take it seriously. It's *bearing* and all you need is some respect, dude.

First you need to learn to spell... it's military bearing.

Second, obviously you don't take it seriously. If you did, you would have more self discipline.

Source(s): Retired military officer

Give them beads at Mardi Gras?

I think you mean military bearing.

• Robert

9 1/2 weeks of insults and push-ups will fix you.

Source(s): US Army, I only keep my military baring from 0630-1700 mon-fri.