Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 9 years ago

How's the global warming theory fit in with record cold and snowstorms?

We are having record cold and snow - 8 days before winter even begins. This kind of throws cold water (pun intended) on the global warming idea. I guess Al Gore is in his private jet heading for some warm beach. We could really use him to help us shovel 16 inches of "gobal warming" off our driveway. Hopefully many of the newly elected congressmen and governors won't buy the gw snake oil. I don't care if the car is electric, gas, hydrogen, steam, or rubber band as long as the heater works!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

>>How's the global warming theory fit in with record cold and snowstorms?<<

How does it fit with record heat and droughts.

>>We are having record cold and snow - 8 days before winter even begins.<<

You remember that we had record highs for much of the rest of the year as well as record cold? The term "global warming" has the word "global" in it for a reason as well... It is the average temperature of the Earth over whatever time frame happens to be in question. That average is still going up.

>>This kind of throws cold water (pun intended) on the global warming idea.<<

Nope. Not really.

>>I guess Al Gore is in his private jet heading for some warm beach.<<

What does that have to do with the scientific evidence that shows that the planet is warming?

>>We could really use him to help us shovel 16 inches of "gobal warming" off our driveway.<<

Last Winter where I lived, we had floods when we should have had a bunch of snow instead of rain. Why weren't the deniers up here filling and hauling sandbags?

>>Hopefully many of the newly elected congressmen and governors won't buy the gw snake oil.<<

Of course they won't buy it. They'll be far too busy selling it...which they are obviously very good at considering that they were elected in the first place.

>>I don't care if the car is electric, gas, hydrogen, steam, or rubber band as long as the heater works!<<

Then I'm sure that you'd really appreciate electric, since the heat is fairly instantaneous (no need to warm the engine up before you can get heat from the vents).

_

• reader
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

a number of experts have argued that the term "worldwide Warming" could surely get replaced to "worldwide climate exchange". The oceans are warming on in many cases happening everywhere in the globe, that's partly why we've noted because it worldwide Warming. besides the incontrovertible fact that, this motives a number of different differences in our worldwide climate, which additionally incorporates severe cooling (inclusive of super snow storms).

• Trevor
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

What you’re looking at is just one single piece from a gigantic jigsaw. Whilst it may be cold at the moment where you are, the bigger picture is that the average temperature over a long period of time will have almost certainly increased (if you want to say were you are – state or nearest city, I’ll get the temperature graph from NASA for your part of the world, I can say with 99% certainty that it will show long-term warming).

Global warming does not mean an end to cold weather or snow, it means that as the years and decades go by it will become less frequent. From one year to the next the change will be barely discernible but if you compare the current weather with that of 50 or 100 years ago you’ll see big changes. (Weather Underground has historical weather data that will allow you to do this - http://www.wunderground.com/)

Further, there is no mechanism within the climatic systems of the planet that allow for the sudden loss or gain of heat. If it’s cold where you are that’s because the heat is somewhere else. At the moment for example, large parts of Russia, Canada, Greenland, Siberia and the Arctic are recording exceptionally high temperatures.

On a global scale 2010 is poised to be the hottest year on record, unless December is especially cold in much of the world, then it’s going to beat all previous records.

Here’s something to ponder on. If the fact that it’s cold and snowy where you are disproves the theory of global warming, what will you be saying when it warms up and the snow melts?

At the end of the day you’ve got some weather – that’s all there is to it.

• 9 years ago

Global warming is not about the daily weather where you live, but about global averages and long term trends. There was global cooling over most of the last 10 years but 2010 will be the second hottest year on record (after 1998). Sadly the trend is probably still up.

The problem with Al Gore & his friends is that they have used AGW as an excuse for raising taxes selling all sorts of snake oil solutions (like wind farms) that make massive profits but do little if anything to help. They have also done their utmost to make sure that none of the science behind these scams can be open to scrutiny because otherwise they will be exposed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I am one of the most skeptical people about global warming, but people like you are the reasons why people who don't believe in it are painted as stupid...

you can't base it off one year, you need to look at a longer period of time to tell a warming/cooling trend, probably 10 year minimum

• GHWeb
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Global warming is a fact. The Temperature of the Earth as measured from outer-space has climbed. You are under the misconception that "global warming" will just mean that we can all get a sun tan in January and wear shorts. No, as the Earth warms, the air-flow patterns of the Earth are altered and the ocean currents change. More melting means more moisture in the atmosphere, which will produce bigger and heavier snow totals in cold areas. Changes in the air-flow and ocean currents will result in dramatic shifts from cool to extreme cold in the winters, and from warm to extreme heat and dryness in the summers. Record cold, record heat, record rains, record snow totals, record dryness, more intense storms...especially lightening storms, hurricanes and tornadoes are all symptoms the Earth will have as the global warming progresses. It isn't just a temperature warming change, it is a full climatic change.

As to those who have said Al Gore is nuts. Well, if you are young enough you will find out before your life is over, that while he may be a little boring to listen to, the science has been checked by virtually every genius in the world. And if China even thinks it needs to clean things up a bit, you gotta realize there's a reason beyond what Al Gore thinks. Even G. W. Bush started moderating some of his opinions about global warming after he left office. It doesn't take a genius to figure all that fossil fuel use is going to do something more than make your car move or the lights come on.

Everything has a wanted effect, and everything has an unwanted effect. It just takes some time to find out what that is. In the early 1900's smoking was cool and its only effect was to relax. It was even touted as having therapeutic benefits for the human body. Now we know that even second hand smoke from our parents is the cause for some adults today, who never smoked themselves, having lung illnesses usually only found in smokers.

• 9 years ago

The two things have little to do with each other, the theory is called 'global warming' note the first word GLOBAL, what did the global temperature do last year (with strong snow falls in Europe and the US) it was the 5th warmest year recorded.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2009/13#gtemp

As things stand at the moment 2010 is set to be in the top 3 warmest years, as of the data to the end of Oct it was tied with 1998 as the warmest year on record for combined land & ocean temp.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2010/10

And as 1998 also cooled in it's last couple of months (also due to a La Nina) don't expect 2010 to fall much even with a regional winter snowfall.

• 9 years ago

Please, educate yourself on the difference between climate and weather, its really not a hard concept to grasp. Also have a look at the effect of the ENSO cycle on weather patterns in certain areas. Also, if you are in Europe, particularly the UK have a look at the Jet stream influence and things called "blocking events".

Having a read about these and several other phenomena will stop you posting stupid questions such as this.... but then, you don't really care about the facts do you?

• 9 years ago

There is no global warming, or climate change or what ever tree huggers call it. I want global warming! Hell I burn tires when ever I get a chance! 2 years ago the Global Warming summit in D.C. was cancelled because it was to cold! Tired of hearing about this bullchit!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

If al Gore is going south for the beach the cold will follow him.

Its just a theory a very badly thought out one . It has no base in facts .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.