Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 9 years ago

With paint is better, acrylic or oil?

With paint is better, acrylic or oil?

Favorite Answer

Oils provide much more smoother, nicer blends that acrylic cannot do as well. Oil dries slower, which is a positive for blending because it gives you more time to focus on the blend. Although Oil is much more difficult to clean up (i suggest using paint thinner, and then using water and soap), as well you can't use water while painting (to thin out the oil paint a bit, i use a few drops of walnut oil, and a few drops of paint thinner, mixed - equal amounts of each). I used oil for a gigantic frog painting I did, and it turned out to be my best piece I've ever done, much smoother blends and tones. As well, you use less paint with oil, because a small little dab (not much bigger than the tip of your pinky) can go along way and cover a lot of area.

Acrylic is easier to clean up with -simply rinse with soap and water- as well when you're painting all you need is a container of water ---instead of having to use paint thinner/walnut oil, and easier when mixing paint for different colors, but you use/go through more paint when using acrylic. It's also a benefit if you are working more quickly and want paint that dries faster. I use acrylic paint for a pointilism landscape I did -after doing my oil paint frog assignment- it seemed a lot more effortless. Paint dried within minutes, if not seconds, and allowed me to keep building onto the paint.

So it really just depends on the image that you're doing, whether or not you want very nice blends, whether or not you want the paint to dry faster or slower, and whether or not you want to put a lot of effort into cleaning up.

If I had to decide, I prefer to work with acrylic, just for the sheer fact that it's easier to clean up with. But as for results on a canvas, I'd go with oil because the appearance is much nicer.

Source(s): art student, have been doing art as long as i can remember. =)
  • Art

I have used both. Once I used oils I never went back. I also can sell oil paintings much faster than acrylic. Oils just have a far better look to them. I have seen some high dollar like $50,000 oil paintings from living artists and the way they perfected using the the right mixtures of oils would just make it glow it the lighting better than you could ever imagine. Truly beautiful. Seeing them in person is nothing like a print or computer screen.

http://www.jacobbrest.com

I personally enjoy using oil paints, because you can blend them easier and create a smooth almost 3-d look, acrylics just don't seem to have the same effect... hmmm oil based or water based?

Though I like them both I would have to say oil.

:)

Source(s): ArTeEsT!!!!!

Depends on what you want to do i like all paint but Acrylic is good if you mess up a lot or wanna change something it dries fast and you can just paint over it and you can do a lot more textures.oils are great for blending and you can go back and change them even weeks after since it takes a long time for them to dry which is also there down side.

Source(s): painter

I think that's definitely a personal choice. For some types of work oils will be better, for others acrylics... For ease of use and versatility I'd definitely vote for acrylics, but that's just my personal preference