Need new car battery at 212 CCA?

I had my car battery tested and got these results:

Voltage: 12.81 V

Measured: 212 CCA

Rated: 550 CCA

Temperature: 41 F

My battery is from Nov 2003, ie 7 years old. I realize that a lot of batteries don't even last 7 years, but based on those numbers, do I need a new car battery? The guy at Advanced Auto Parts said I definitely need a new battery. My car has always started, though I often lose my radio presets when I start the car (and the battery has enough water and there's no oxidation on terminals). Should I just wait for the battery to die before I replace it?

• cory l
    Best Answer

replace it! 212 CCA? and its rated at 550? you're below half of your potential CCA and as soon as it gets cold your looking at a dead battery or no starting power, on top of that it could be putting excessive wear on your starter. you could wait until it dies completely, could last you another year but it's going to die at the worst possible time.

I layman's terms. They probably told you that because the battery that's in the car is a lower CCA than the car is supposed to have in it. If you put a 650 CCA in a car that comes with an 850 it doesn't mean it won't work . Most car starters don't draw ore than 200 amps even when it;s cold out. The lower CCA battery will die quicker if th car is hard to start and a long crank time is involved.

Yeah your cold cranking amps are drastically lower than the battery is rated for. In my opinion I would get a new battery.

Take a look at XS power batteries. I am aware that they are primarily used in car audio installs because they are high power batteries but they are very efficient and last a while. I know guys who drive snow plow trucks in the country who use these batteries in case of emergency because they are so great.

i think you need to replace the battery.

replace your battery.