Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

500GB 7200rpm vs. SSD?

So i have a 2.5 inch 500gb 7200rpm HDD in my laptop.

I'm looking to upgrade it to a Samsung SSD 128gb MLC NAND. It seems as it's got a read speed of 90mb/s and write speed of 70mb/s. I've tried to look for how fast my 500gb 7200rpm HDD is and it only tells me in this form. "3.0Gb/s".

Which is faster? And in terms of how SSD's speed is described, how fast is my 500gb HDD?

Is it worth the upgrade?

Let me know thanks!

Favorite Answer

Discs will differ... but here is a great comparison between Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB HDD and an OCZ Vertex Series SATA II SSD... not exactly what you are debating between, but it's close enough for this argument...

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9134468/Rev...

Their tests had this result...

"OCZ's drive showed a 196MB/sec read rate, the Seagate, 84.6MB/sec."

So, more than twice as fast on the bench.

Booting and rebooting speeds...

"20 seconds to start up Windows XP for the OCZ and 40 seconds for the Seagate. The SSD also beat the HDD for restarts: 26 seconds versus 37 seconds. "

Is that what you were looking for?

Is it worth the upgrade? Depends on the cost. $260 or more to increase the speed data comes off and goes to your drive. For some people, that's no big deal... for others, that's two to three weeks of groceries for the whole family. It's up to you whether it is worth it.

end of line

• fjeld

7200rpm Vs Ssd

A couple of reactions :

1. I'd shop for SSD's that are the same size but faster. There are plenty around that cost the same that offer more like 150/120 speeds made by OCZ, Crucial, Patriot, etc.

2. SSD's are faster than any mechanical drive in several ways. 2 examples are access times and throughput speeds. You've identified the throughput speed difference, however, equally important is the access times. SSD's are typically measured in .1 - .5 milliseconds whereas hard drives (in real world scenarios) are more like 8-40ms depending on drive.

One last thing to consider, especially for laptops, is memory consumption. SSD's consume 2-4 watts of power versus the more typical 10-20 watts of power, which in a netbook or small laptop translates into longer time between charges.

Hope that helps. Have a look on www.newegg.com for SSD pricing on faster, yet similar cost SSD drives

Source(s): www.newegg.com

I have a few that I would recommend and they have great price tags:

Kingston SSDNow V Series 128 GB SATA 3 GB/s 2.5- Inch Solid State Drive SNV425-S2/128GB

*200MB/sec read and 160MB/sec write speeds

*SATA 1.5GB/sec and 3.0GB/sec interfaces

*Faster boot times and application loads than hard drives

*No moving mechanical parts gives it longer life and ability to handle rougher conditions

*Backed by Kingstons three year warranty and 24/7 tech support