How do you pick and choose which stories are of your holy book are to be taken literally?

I know modern people in some religions or sects of certain religions don't take their entire holy books as literal truth. An example would be some Christians not believing in the story of Noah as being completely true. How do you decide which stories are to be taken literally and which should simply have... show more I know modern people in some religions or sects of certain religions don't take their entire holy books as literal truth. An example would be some Christians not believing in the story of Noah as being completely true.

How do you decide which stories are to be taken literally and which should simply have some sort of moral meaning? If you don't take the whole book as truth, how can you be sure of the validity of any of it? How do you know anything about your God?

Thank you.