Christians: What is your take on assisted suicide?

Agree or disagree and why?

Best Answer

Suicide is still a serious sin against God. According to the Bible, suicide is murder; it is always wrong. Serious doubts should be raised about the genuineness of faith of anyone who claimed to be a Christian yet committed suicide. There is no circumstance that can justify someone, especially a Christian, taking his/her own life. Christians are called to live their lives for God, and the decision on when to die is God’s and God’s alone. Although it is not describing suicide, 1 Corinthians 3:15 is probably a good description of what happens to a Christian who commits suicide: “He himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.”

http://www.gotquestions.org/suicide-Bible-Christia...

Source(s): TLS
  • Here's the thing....suicide, by its nature is a do-it-yourself thing. As soon as someone else is participating in the act, it's no longer suicide but murder by consent of the victim. Or...eventually, without the victim's consent....medically speaking.

From a moral perspective, it's a slippery slope. As soon as we start the whole 'death with dignity' thing, it won't be long before the doctor or your family is deciding that you should die just because you're costing the government too much money with a lengthy hospital stay. Apparently that's already happening in some places. Norway? Not sure where but I've read about it.

Source(s): Newspapers and good old fashioned common sense.

Everything comes down to motive, in my opinion. In theory, the Christian God is a loving and forgiving God. He wouldn't want His children to suffer. There are many ways to suffer. One is to be dying a slow and painful death, another is to watch a loved one suffer a long and painful death. If the motives are pure, then it is not murder. It is dignity.

On the other hand, deliberately prolonging someones pain would be an act of cruelty. I don't think God would ever condone cruelty. Being God's children, sometimes it is our responsibility to offer the hand of mercy on God's behalf. That said, if we truly followed God's word, perhaps as taught in the Essene Gospel of Peace (try google), then first of all we wouldn't suffer disease and misery, and secondly, those we come across who do, we could probably assist and bring them back to their natural state of good health.

It wouldn't be my choice. I believe we have to take what comes in our lives with as good grace as we can muster. I have known fellow Christians who have had to suffer in this way and yet they were positive about their faith and an example to others in their trust in God.

Prayer to God through the Lord Jesus Christ for help in these situations has to be the way through. May God grant that our faith and hope in the coming kingdom will sustain us all to the end.

Arn't christians supposed to love their brother as themselves, to visit the sick, to visit those in prison...if you help someone commit suicide, is it not the same as withholding help from those crying out for help and a word of hope and friendship..so, by our apathy, which is apparent, if you go to the mental health section, you will see so many suicide help questions not even answered, it is apparent to me that it is not an issue of any concern, guess their too busy over here trying to save souls from eternal hell from the needy, vengeful God many of them believe in.

I disagree... life is priceless and should be kept as long as possible... As long as a person is alive, there is always some hope of recovery!

It's wrong....it's a sin to take your own life no matter how it is done. Also, it leaves family and friends shattered emotionally.

it's never okay, even if the patient is suffering horribly. I don't care

Source(s): Christian moron