Anonymous

Did you know that humans are not a race?

But a species? Apparently not... since I keep seeing responses referring to a mythical "human race."

Direct from Wikipedia:

"Humans, known taxonomically as Homo sapiens (Latin: "wise man" or "knowing man"),[3][4] are the only living species in the Homo genus of bipedal primates in Hominidae, the great ape family. Anatomically modern-appearing humans originated in Africa about 200,000 years ago, reaching full behavioral modernity around 50,000 years ago."

Actually, the majority of you are morons, it seems:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ApRHx...

@ Meii - read your response again, rethink what you were trying to say, and then type a coherent sentence please.

@ Shadow - you'd like to think so, but that's not what he intended it to be. Perhaps I'm mistaking him for somebody else, but people often say that humans are a race on this site, and that irks me to no end. I don't condone racism, nor do I condone people acting like idiots and pretending everyone is identical in appearance and genetics.

@ If it was I missed it, but that doesn't change the fact that many users on this site say that human race bullshit in a non-joking way.

*@ Shadow*

@ King - that is incorrect, and a perfect example of what I'm talking about Shadow.

@ Bon Qui Qui - get back to work.

Favorite Answer

Yep. We are a species.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: though it's an extremely unpopular thing to say, at the end of the day, we aren't much different from any other animal group. Take, for instance, birds:

You have "birds" as a blanket term for the whole "aves" class of animalia, then within that, you have parrots. Parrots would be the infraclass "neognathae," and their species is "psittaciaforms" (sidenote: yahoo counts all these terms as misspellings...). Then, from there, you have strigopidae (New Zealand parrots), cacatuidae (cockatoos/cockatiels; Australia, Indonesia, etc), psittacidae ("true parrots" ala macaws, amazons, african greys, conures, etc from Central and South America, Africa, and the Indian subcontinent). Within each of these taxonomies are thousands of subspecies that vary from that cool red macaw at the zoo that talks and dances, to your niece's parakeet named "Mylie."

Same with dogs. A corgi, labrador, pomeranian, pitbull, yorkshire terrier, corgi, pointer, jindo, etc. are all dogs, but we classify them all based on how they look, where they originated, etc.

If an alien race were to swoop down, they'd view us in much the same way. A person from Sweden and a person from China look totally different due to genetics and have different mannerisms due to their culture and where they grew up; that said, if you took a pug puppy and let it be raised by a bunch of malamutes, it would act like a malamute even though it was physically different. Not much difference when you look at someone whose ancestors emigrated from one part of the world to another: they make look "different" from most of the people around them, they may be shorter or taller or whiter or darker, but they have the mannerisms and way of life centric to where they were raised.

I do have a very utilitarian view of "race," and the reality is that we are not the human "race," we are the human "species." Race is a concept unique to humans and is analogous to the "class" you have in animals. Try saying that to someone on the street and see what their response is, though.

This doesn't color my opinion of different races by any stretch, though; I'm white... best friend is black... girlfriend is Asian... a few friends who are Indian/Pakistani and plenty more who are Latin-American... it's more just calling it like it is, to me.

nicely I see the two aspects of that. i'm human first and additionally pleased with my lifestyle and history 2nd. If we can renounce emphasizing the changes plenty we would desire to constantly in no way bypass returned to minorities feeling compelled to faux they are not who they are. we would desire to constantly seem on the selection in a favorable way that makes the human race extra exciting!

I knew that, but I see people on here ALL the time saying things like "the human race". I've wanted to correct them, but I'd be correcting people so often that I don't see the point of putting forth the effort.

Race=species. Did you ever hear the term "The human race". Same meaning different words.

Edit- http://human-race.org/

Their is a human race. The word 'race' is subjective.

Source(s): Wikipedia sucks.

Of course humans aren't a race.

It does not matter, we are still different from one another.

Would you consider a pit bull the same as a chihuahua, didn't think so but the are both dogs.

.

in webster dictionary race means a group of people.or living things..or literally means a group okay.humans are a group of people okay so we are a race....group of animals are also called a race okay..so it literally means a group or a lot of people..

That's how it goes down i guess. Logic and science is pretty intriguing.

Though, it's pretty scientific. to believe it or not is up to you.

Like that one theory that humans are holograms and not real.

/mind explosion/

Wow why do you care so much.

Only morons like you need Wikipedia to know that.