Do you know the name of this movie?

I woke up at 5am cst and caught the end of it. It looked to be from the 60's or 70's maybe. A Mexican boy of about 10 years old was talking to a priest who was fixing metal chairs. The boy says he is going to leave because he doesn't want to be a teacher, he wants to be a doctor. After some... show more I woke up at 5am cst and caught the end of it. It looked to be from the 60's or 70's maybe.

A Mexican boy of about 10 years old was talking to a priest who was fixing metal chairs. The boy says he is going to leave because he doesn't want to be a teacher, he wants to be a doctor. After some conversation, the priest agrees and the boy leaves and meets up with a girl. SHe was sad because he was leaving but he says he will stay. They show the 2 holding hands and then it fades to 6 years later when they get married.

I was starting to doze off again, but I remember the boy is now 16 or so (and seems to now be played by a middle aged white man) has to leave to go to University. His wife is staying there to do her year of service with the church. He leaves and now it is 10 years later (it's all narrated by the priest). The boy, who is now a man, is back and it's Christmas eve. His wife had died years ago, as had his son, and he was going through a rough time (he didn't even relize it was Christmas). The priest was looking pretty old by now, and the movie ended shortly after the showed all the kids in town having a candlelight walk for Christmas.

I don't even know if it is a movie, I old say this last 20 minutes or so and I was half asleep and falling asleep. Anyone have an idea of what it is?

I checked the listings in my area. I think it was on channel 6 (with no cable box) which is some sort of religion channel, but I could not find any movie title.
1 answer 1