Forensic Entomology question?

I have to write a short report for one of my classes, detailing what sorts of insects will be found in/on/near the human body during one month post mortem. I'm not asking for the answer, I am however asking if anyone could help me locate some websites that will give me good information. I appreciate any help. Thank you

Favorite Answer

This online essay may give you some Ideas.

The use of Forensic Entomology is quickly becoming recognized and accepted as a valid form of forensic identification. Although some problems have been found with the method, many police departments want to add its use to their crime-solving arsenal. Some people cannot understand how a simple bug can be used to solve a crime. Nevertheless, forensic entomology has been documented and proven very effective in crime solving. This is why I believe that forensic entomology should be employed by more police cases/investigations. In its widest sense, forensic entomology refers to any insect evidence used in a court of law. Yet more narrowly, forensic entomologists work on death investigations using invertebrates such as beetles, moths, and especially bowflies to help determine the time and place of death. The forensic entomologists collect the adult insects, larvae, and eggs found on corpses, to determine when a death occurred and whether the body was moved. With the leaps and bounds that scientific progress is making, I believe that soon every police station will have a forensic entomologist.

However, like most scientific methods, forensic entomology has its problems. "The problem is flies: they don't come with labels. They don't come with bar codes. Fact is, flies aren't too bright; they don't even know their common names, not to mention their Latin Binomilas." (Why Files 12) Though it is hard to distinguish one kind of fly from another, forensic entomologists have little choice. Since if they don't know the species, they don't know the hatching schedule, and without that they don't know how long ago a victim died. There are other problems with forensic entomology. Since fly development depends on the temperature, the biggest problem is often to determine the average temperature of the corpse. Usually, however, a mathematical approximation is used that enable scientist to compare ambient temperature to the temperature used by scientists who study fly development in the laboratory. "There's a lot of margin for error,"(Simon Fraser University 13) says Stephen Bullington, who has a Ph.D. in entomology.

Forensic entomology is slow to catch on in many areas, but its use is growing rapidly. Neil Haskell Believes, "Each geographical area needs its own insect detectives." However, he also believes entomology will play an increasingly important role in crime solving, he does not think that forensic entomologists will always provide evidence to resolve a case. Dael Morris, working for the Royal Ontario Museum with a M.Sc. in entomology, wants Forensic entomology to become a routine part of procedures at the scene of a crime. "More police and conservation officers are becoming interested in this work and want to use it," says Gail Anderson.

relies upon on the sub-speciality. working example, my interest for 2 an prolonged time is in forensic anthropology (my dad became a forensic crime lab chief, so clearly this became an exciting subject to benefit, notably a thank you to locate trauma that led to loss of existence while there is yet bones left for clues), this is a sub-field of the forensic sciences. Forensics is a team learn, that has many sub-fields that makes a speciality of a single section. often it extremely is used for crime paintings, in spite of the undeniable fact that it is likewise utilized in biology and paleo/anthropology (any investigative field of learn -- biomedicine, notably). there is extra paintings possibilities for lab technicians (people who reflect DNA and do attempting out for toxicology), as they'd paintings in hospitals (notably pathology) and health facility sectors. once you're questioning of getting into the sector, whilst a surrogate, the suited course is interior the lab section (cyto/pathology/toxicology). From there you could build your credentials and flow over into the criminal forensics field. maximum crime scene "CSI" types are promoted from interior of regulation enforcement (like my father), or you build your CV by way of way of common potential.