t s asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

8 week old german shepard puppy belly button?

i have an 8 week old german shepard pup with a belly button that sticks out. is that a serious problem?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

SHEP***HERD***=HERDS SHEEP

& YES,besides being M-MC (TOO YOUNG!),it has an UMBILICAL HERNIA!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Without SEEING it ourselves, we cannot tell you how serious it is.

But an umbilical hernia CAN be fatal.

How come the vet didn't notice it when doing the check-over that every sensible buyer has done during the first couple of days?

Hernias are part of the gut - usually a loop of intestine - sliding out where a muscle wall has split. The "favourite" sites are the "belly button" (umbilical hernia) and the groin (inguinal hernia). If the split muscle tightens and attempts to "pinch off" the loop, the sufferer has a strangulated hernia, which has VERY serious consequences from blood poisoning onwards.

DO NOT blithely wait until you neuter her before finding out how serious hers is - neutering should not be done younger than 11-15 months old.

So GET TO THE VET and become informed NOW.

Although ignorant or con-artist breeders often try to blame them on the brood being rough while separating the placenta & umbilicus from the pup, hernias are genetic, with experimenters very quickly succeeding in producing "bigger and better" (make that WORSE!) hernias by mating pairs of herniated pooches, pigs, rats. So make sure the owners of her parents are informed.once your vet tells you how serious your pet's hernia is.

Click http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source/... if you want more information about them.

Neither "german" nor "shepard" is a word, so Y!A placed a red line under each as soon as you typed it..

My breed was developed to HERD sheep in the German boundary-patrolling way, so its real name translates as German Shepherd Dog - 3 words in the proper noun, so 3 capitals letters, with GSD for short.

◙ Add http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source to your browser's Bookmarks or Favorites so that you can easily look up such as rescue groups, feeding, vaccinations, worming, clubs, weights, teething, neutering, disorders, genetics.

◙ To ask about GSDs, join some of the 400+ YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with them. Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos in your messages.

Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly

"In GSDs" as of 1967

• 9 years ago

Sounds like an umbilical hernia.

Just see the vet about it. There are actually two types of umbilical hernia.

1/ is when a puppies stomach closes quicker than the place where the umbilical cord was, leaving tissues outside, this cannot be pushed back in as the hole closes tight around the tissue

2/ is a hereditary hernia where the hernia can actually be pushed back in but tends to come out again, this can get bigger and can be a bit dangerous as the hernia is not tissue but is actually the gut, this can be operated on but is in essence hereditary

First of all you should of got a reduction on the puppy, as being heriditary then the dogs should not be bred from and the dam / sire should not be bred again.

Then most people have them operated on at the time of a spay op.

• 9 years ago

No - an umbilical hernia can be repaired at a very minimal cost when the pup goes in to be spayed or neutered.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

She may just not like the food. My dog did the same and I put yogurt in it (it's perfectly safe for dogs) if she still isn't eating in about an hour or 2 get her to a vet ASAP she could have parvo, which could kill her within 24 hours!

• 9 years ago

lorraine has all the best answers ,

it a herniated belly button , my dog HAD one till it was removed under surgery ,

it is quiet common , a trick that could work , it that you push it in , cover it with a penny and tape it to the stomach ,

it may work , it may not but worth a try , before any surgery .

i wish i had known when i got her as a pup , i would have tried it ,

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

umbilical hernia.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.