Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

Could more transparency in Government have prevented 9/11 attacks?

• Favorite Answer

According to the US's 9/11 Commission Report, as the article points out, probably. To me, accountability doesn't just mean accountability over where money is going, it also means being able to effectively do a job, especially if that job is in the FBI or the Defense Department eh? lol As I get older the only thing people seem to prove to me, over and over, is that they will never understand the importance of communication. Maybe just in general, it's a self esteem issue.

I think right now people are in love with the idea of conspiracies and aliens and can't see how easy it would be to eliminate conflicts of interest that the revolving doors allow in our government. It's just individual men who join the ranks of the Defense Dept straight from the private military sector and then retire back into it when they are done "serving". It's the same with interests in the drug, food, etc. industries. It would be so simple to avoid the argument that these men are the "best" as far as credentials for their jobs and realize the true reality of human nature...as Madison says in the Federalist Papers, a man can't judge his own interests, it's exactly what leads to corruption and the downfall of great nations. So simple, but if things weren't convoluted...people would start thinking about it.

If my government wants my trust they better start being trustworthy...and it's time to start regulating the conflicts of interest posed from the private and public sector mingling so intimately.

And also....I'm not affiliated with these folks but I agree with what they are doing:

To the U.S. and other governments and corporations involved in the crackdown on WikiLeaks:

"We call on you to stop the crackdown on WikiLeaks and its partners immediately. We urge you to respect democratic principles and laws of freedom of expression and freedom of the press. If WikiLeaks and the journalists it works with have violated any laws they should be pursued in the courts with due process. They should not be subjected to an extra-judicial campaign of intimidation."

http://www.avaaz.org/en/wikileaks_petition/?fpla

• Kojak

I find it interesting........almost humorous....that these people want a degree of "transparency" in their government they would NEVER tolerate in their own life..... even more mind boggling is their inability to see the damage organizations like Wikileaks does..... how it makes the function of government almost impossible.....reduces national security.....and literally gets people killed

If there was criminal activity I can support a leak.....but what possible good comes from revealing to the world that Hillary thinks the Prime Minister of Turkey is a "dangerous man".... how many vital sources of information..... that keep America safe.....have "dried up' or been killed

If every word you uttered.....every personal thought you had were revealed to the public.....every telephone call; every personal letter..... how would you function.....how difficult would your life be

no one would trust you.... confide in you..... or want to associate..... that guy you told your wife, in confidence, you though was an @SS..... suddenly knew your inner most private thoughts..... how much chaos would that make in your life

Wikileaks is traitorous.... a violation of national security..... a peeping tom that gets people killed

Would it have prevented 911...... NO...... everyday every agency gets a ton of information.....it is ONLY in hindsight a particular piece of information seems important..... I doubt full disclosure or transparency would have made a difference

• hog b

Yes,

elements within the government, run by bankers and corporations would have said:

"we are planning the mother of all false flags in order to illegally invade countries that are profitable to invade, and also to become a police state at home"

and everything would have been alright.

No

NO