Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Christians, what are your thoughts about this Mark Twain quote?

"Faith is believing what you know ain't so."

- Mark Twain

Favorite Answer

Sounds like he didn't have much faith in things...Maybe he was a nihilist? lol

Source(s): www.bahai.com
  • Angela

In my opinion Mr. Twain exactly defines the essence of faith. Belief without proof. I'm sure Mr. Twain did not intention this however..his quote actually makes fun of the proposition of faith, stating concisely that faith is believing in a reality that you "know" is false. Unfortunately for Mr. Twain..that false reality he was laughing about is now his unfortunate infinitude..hell not Heaven. I'd hesitate to guess he wishes he had selected another road. However, it's far too late for Mr. Twain. God bless.

I think your focusing on one quote without looking at Mark Twain's work as a whole. I'm tired of atheists trying to make out histories greatest figures as atheists when they are not.

i am not a Christian

but i am almost certain Mark Twain was

so i will just say, thank you for shearing

and thank you for the nice quote

Mark is the surname of John,

writes a verily verily account,

about how he's more beloved,

but it's only according to John,

who's still a "servant" in Rev 1,

which is a know not in Jn 15:15.

God is one, not twain,

nor even one of left/right twain,

but rather God is one above twain.

I make it a point to enjoy Mark Twain quotes, but not think too hard about them. I doubt Samuel Clemens wanted us to sit around debating his jokes.

I like mine better

"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to" Miracle on 34th Street :)

• Blank

I love Mark Train. I've read most of his work.

This quote is funny. But, it's just not true.

Source(s): One atheist's perspective.

Well that's exactly what faith is. No one knows that there is a god, no one knows that there is a life after death. all we can do is have faith that what we do here will determine where we go in our after life :).

I'm not Christian but they might feel good that their loving god has had him burning in hell for over 100 years now for the horrible crime of not believing in him.