please someone explain 1 John 4:18 to me?????????????????????

please someone explain 1 John 4:18 to me????????????????????????? so if someone is strugling under the spirit of fear, does this mean they dont have the love of God (agape)

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I John 4:18......

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. "

I John 4:18

It means simply this - when we really believe the Gospel from our heart - not just our head - that God in the Person of Jesus Christ came down from heaven to suffer in our place for our sins; we no longer need to act like Adam, who ran away from God and hid himself in the Garden because he was afraid of what God might do to him; but instead we can run to God, and know that He has accepted us, and forgiven us, and justified us, and removed our sin and every barrier that separates us from His love and acceptance. This is why the word Gospel means "Good News". When you understand it with your heart, it is very good news indeed.

http://www.campuscrusade.com/fourlawsflash.htm

listen how God saved this man from certain death........

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=36828558...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Verse 7 needs to be the starting poit for understanding that statement. Christians are urged to love one another because God first loved us, showing such love in providing Jesus as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Those who put faith in that gracious provision are indwelt with the Holy Spirit, which means that the love of God and Christ actually lives in the believer.

It is the conviction brought by the indwelling Holy Spirit that "love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him" (vs 17) and then comes the verse you quote.

This is about assurance of the believer that they will not be adversely judged by Christ on the day of judgment. They have already passed over from judgment to life because they now belong to Christ and are adopted into the family of God. This is the perfect love that drives out fear of judgement "because fear has to do with punishment", as verse 18 itself explains. Christ bore the punishment that we deserve, so the moment anyone repents and believes, their punishment is dealt with legally. Of course, we still have to live under the adage "Whatever a man sows, that he will also reap" so we cannot have a careless attitude to sin or being silly. But our eternal future is lovingly assured by God and Christ, therefore Christians should not struggle under any spirit of fear, for "Greater is he who is in us, than he who is in the world" (1 John 4:4) The Spirit of Christ is in believers; if we need not fear the devil, who is in the world, there's no need to fear anything!

• 1st John 5;7 isn't authentic I don't consider any of it literally authentic. It took much change during its translation in Latin. To merge ideas that cannot be historical accurate. Such as trinity. However the Jewish motif is John the Baptist retelling of Eve's falling from Eden. Where the "tree of life" is God manifest in the fullest detail. 1 John is Essence teaching based on Torah previous Moses, and Israel following God's Law as a constitution.

The Gospels never mentions Essenes. Its because Jesus Christ is actually John the Baptist. This is realized understanding the similarities between Luke Ch. 1 and Matthew Ch.1. It represents Israel's as God's chosen people returned to Israel out of captivity. That is the concrete and abstract in complete form. This is the holy triangle. One that doesn't involve a color bias, in which presents all forms of acceptance in Judaism, without imperialism and deception involved. Anyone who believes [[[Jesus is going to return]]] is part the anti-Christ. They anti against John the Baptist who was the messiah. Read the book of Flavius Josephus. The Vatican claims to have the body of Peter, that would be a fulfillment of Isaiah 53;10.

• 10 years ago

All human experience fear of the unknown.

It means the Holy Spirit is temporarily not with you and to retain the HS, pray the Lord's Prayer or the Holy Rosary.

Separation from God causes anxiety and fear.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

That love is not yet perfected in them, not that they do not have any at all. If you are in fear than there also is some lack of faith and trust in the Lord Jesus, and if you truly believe that Jesus will never leave you nor forsake you, than what is there to fear? If God does not give you the spirit of fear, than who does?????

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Hebrews 13:5-6 (King James Version)

5Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

6So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

• 10 years ago

1 John 4:18 (New International Version, ©2010)

18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

i've heard of ppl jumping in frozen lakes to save their dogs. stupid or love? there is no fear in love

• anon
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

he is speaking about fear of punishment

1Jn 4:17 By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.

1Jn 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

if you have been saved you do not fear punishment

• 10 years ago

It talks about being made "perfect in love". I don't think we will ever become perfect till we reach heaven. Peter was so scared he denied Jesus....3 times! Even is Gethsemene, it could be argued that Jesus was scared, he sweated blood. Just remember, the most common commandment in the Bible is "do not be afraid" and the most common promise is "I will be with you". I guess what I am trying to say is that having fear is ok, but letting it take over your life is not. God is bigger than anything we have to face.

• 10 years ago

A selfish person always at the fear of losing his -- image,dignity, personality, wealth, friends, family, health etc.etc. A person who has crucified his self is entered in to love. He has nothing to lose. His attachment with all his belongings and his image and dignity is died and has no fear of losing them.

• 10 years ago

A moment in time, a woman had five husbands, she love all of them temporarily... John 4:18 corelates that for a woman to be in love is to love everyone, not physically, they shall follow the will of God, not of themselves... but to be a mother, like a father, to all... imagine being that ... to not follow lust, but love...

perfect love is to forgive everyone, the first being ourselves, our familes and those who persecute...

" For thou has had five husbands; and he whom thou hast is not thy husband: in thou saidst thou truly"

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath tormenth. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."

Do not fear love, because you know love.../

Source(s): You, the Lord, me and everyone.... The LORD
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.