? asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I have a bad boy boxer!?

I have a 8 month old boxer pup who is for the most part a very good boy when we are home...but when we leave him alone even for 10 minutes, he destroys everything he can get his teeth around! He goes in a crate during the day when i am at work because he simply cannot be trusted. We left him for 10 minutes and he pulled a 50 lb box of books and shredded the box, chewed up one ugg boot, 2 playstation controllers, tv remote and ate almost everything in the garbage can making him very sick. He has tons of toys from kongs to nyla bones to stuffed animals and chewing ropes, he plays with his toys when we are home but when we leave him he forgets about his toys and does what he KNOWS he is not allowed to do!

Could this be seperation anxiety ? And if it is, what can we do to try and correct it ? I dont want him to have to be in a crate every day for the rest of his life. We have a 7 year old golden retreiver who never touches anything she isnt supposed to and doesnt even have a crate, but he doesnt seem to be learning from her.

HELP PLEASE!

Thank you!

Favorite Answer

Well, YOU HAVE A BOXER!!! He will be your high energy love child till the day he dies. (Smile)

***

It could very well be separation anxiety. It could simply be childish rebellion. A simple way to work on this is to leave him for just one minute. Say a cheerful goodbye, tell him to be good, pet him, and close the door. Wait 60 seconds and open the door. Greet him happily and praise him for being good while you were gone. Play with him for a while then do something else for a minute. Repeat the EXACT process to the letter, saying and doing EXACTLY the same thing as you leave. Wait 90 seconds and return, repeating your greeting and praise in exactly the same manner. It is important that coming and going become a ritual process that he becomes familiar with and is praised abundantly for being good when you return. This is especially critical in the beginning. Keep repeating the process, gradually increasing the length of time you stay outside. He will learn that you 1) always come back and 2)always are happy to see him being good. This won't be 100%. There will be mishaps. Don't scold him. Put him outside but don't nag him. But every time he getsd it right be generous with your love and praise. eventually he will be become comfortable with your absence, probably about the time he outgrows puppy hood. That's important to remember too. He's a puppy. Puppy hood for a Boxer lasts a good two years.

**

If you didn't know this before now, I'll tell you this. Boxers are a breed that require more interaction and exercise than most other breeds. You must spend real time giving him direct interaction each and every day. I strongly suggest obedience school. Boxers are a working breed and LOVE to be worked. They live to please their masters, but the masters must know how to lead them. The rewards are out of this world. They are so devoted, clever and loyal their personality will never cease to blow you away. And trained Boxers are so charismatic that they will be welcome just about anywhere. Several years ago I had two boxers that I had so well off leash trained that I'd take them to the golf course with me. They'd heel perfectly while I played, and from time to time I'd let them run a bit for fun, then call them back and continue playing. Nobody EVER complained.

**

Invest some serious time in your Boxer. You will not regret it. They truly are "Super-dog"

Source(s): Die hard Boxer fan for 20 years. I'll never have another breed
  • It's seperation anxiety:

Here is what you could try, but no one can guarantee you that it will work.

Put him in a sperate room and tell him whatever you tell him to behave and that you will be right back. Then close the door and pretend that you are leaving.(try to get inro a walking motion without leaving). Two things can happen: either he's sitting right next to the door waiting for you to come back or he'll try to "attack" an item in that room. If you hear commotion indicating that he is trying to shred something open the door immediately and punish him approbiately(it's best to catch them in the act). If he is still at the same place where he went when you closed the door and behaved, praise him. Do this a few times, always lengthening the time before closing and opening the door again by a few minutes--this way he learns that you really come back and that he'll get praise if he behaves.

Add some obedience training. Put him on a leash and make him sit on command. You can do that by pushing his hind down and telling him "sit". Dogs usually catch on fast to these commeands. Do the same by pushing him gently from his midback until he lays down and tell him down. Reapeat this a few times because that way he'll get the meaning of the word. Teach him the meaning of the word no. The way I did it was by filling a kong toy with goodies and when my dog wanted it I told her "no". Then I put it on my coffee table and told her to sit--right next to that kong filled with goodies. When she tried to get it I told her "no" and picked the kong up. I taught my dog to go upstairs and downstairs with me without running ahead of me(or behind me). In the beginning I used the leash to jerk it briefly when she didn't do what I told her to do. By now I don't even need the leash. I tell her to "heel" and she'll pull up right next to me, I'll tell her to sit and she'll do that, same with laying down. This takes only 5 minutes a day but it works very well because the dog actually listens. Another thing I broke her out of is barking at people who come to my door. She can bark to alert me--but she will not bark at people when I allow them in. I used a tin can filled with pennies and rattled it when she didn't want to stop barking and she was so surprised that I could do something she couldn't do that she stopped. Next time around I rattled the tin can again and I told her "no bark". She didn't want to stop so I rattled the can again, told her "no bark" and jerked pretty hard on her collar---she will not bark at company coming in no longer.

Dogs often deal with anxiety by getting destructive in their behavior and the best way to try and get that under control is with the 2 things I suggested---don't forget that a dog wants to please you, so the approach with the room and a daily dose of obedience training should work. If you are consistent with that it will work....good luck

• papaw

Welcome to the world of Boxers. I currently have two. They are chewers by nature. Unless you resort to crating every time you leave the house, you need a good dog trainer to work with the dogs. Fortunately, I worked with mine closely...I'm disabled and at home most of the time, so I could work closely with mine.

Good Luck.

Papaw