I want to become an Army Ranger ... college?

I want to be in the Army and I've wanted to since i was around 10. I am currently in 11th grade and i am thinking about college like every teacher wants. I'm stuck. Do i go to college before i go through the Army or after? What is the best choice? About the Army Paying for college and what not.

• Greg
    Favorite Answer

If you go into the military first, you will have tuition assistance.

If you go to college first, you will come in at a higher rank.

It just depends. Me personally would join the national guard have them pay for college, after that I would transfer over to active duty with an option forty. Best bet is to talk to a recruiter.

Here's the deal: You do not need college to be in a ranger unit. All you need is a committed attitude and a willingness to push yourself to the limit.

Conversely, you do not need to be a ranger to go to college. College will open a lot more doors for you, depending on what degree you get.

The army will still be there after your degree.

College will still be there after a stint as a ranger. It will also be paid for (the army will pay for your school, plus pay you a stipend to atend. It covers 100% of everything unless you're going to a really expensive college. Pretty much any state college will be covered.)

So here is the question: Do you want to spend the next four years in a classroom or adventuring / suffering all over the world? Because those are the options on the table. You're a really young guy so it is all up to you.

• HDH

I would do a year or two of college before you go. You'll be older, more mature, closer to the legal age to drink (nothing like being a combat veteran who's STILL not allowed to drink at a bar!) and you'll have your basic prerequisite classes done so you can use your GI Bill to finish college faster once you are out of uniform. Just pick a state university, and move out and go to college. Enjoy that lifestyle for a year or two. Every kid should - to be away from the parents and free. The sleeping in, the laziness, the good times. It will give you memories to smile about when the Army's being rough on you.

Source(s): U.S. Army 2003-2009 Went to college first
  • foody

be certain you get determination 40 below an 11 sequence settlement out of your recruiter - this might insure which you get a shot a becoming to be a member of a Ranger BN. you will could desire to circulate by way of uncomplicated attempt against education (BCT), Airborne college and then attend the Ranger Indoctrination application (RIP) after passing this you'll be in between the three ranger BN. interior of 6 months to a million year you will attend ranger college. that's a stressful street yet one you're able to do in case you prefer to undesirable adequate.

If I were you i'd do college after. You get the GI bill which will soften the financial blow.

college will only turn you into a anti-american ignorant hippie liberal. then youll never want to go in. just join the army.