Can I get unemployment?

If I worked on a job for 3 weeks, and they let me go because they "didnt need me anymore", can I file for unemployment?

If you answer yes or no, will you please tell me why or why not?! THANKS guys!!

• Betsy
    Favorite Answer

Maybe. If this is your first job, they you cannot. If you previously worked at a job which you left voluntarily, then you might be able to do so. This previous employment would have needed to be 20 weeks in length within the last five calendar quarters. This information is for Ohio. There are some differences from state to state, so you need to check with your state. The concept, however, that you can collect based on recent previous employment applies in all states.

To be eligible to receive unemployment you have had to work for longer than 3 weeks. Typically 6 months (it varies by state). If this is the only job that you had, you would not be eligible to receive benefits. Also, you have to make a minimum amount of money during the last 18-21 months (again, depending on the state). If this is the only job, you would not have earned enough money to receive benefits.

If you have held other jobs, go ahead and apply and see what happens.

It doesnt hurt to go ahead and apply for unemployment, you never know.....

But the average standard is working for at least 6 weeks before you are available for unemployment benefits. But with the economy the way it is now, I am sure they are making exceptions.

Even if you did get unemployment, you would only get one or two checks.

no